1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
I am going to be that guy....
By dxer1105 on 01/17/15 20:07 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car is reliable but.... I just strongly dislike it. I run into many small repairs on this cheaply built car. I hate manual windows. Defrosters are terrible. The car shakes if you drive faster than 65 mph. I had it for 18k from 102 to 120k. Iam about to sell it. Although, I only paid $1,500 for it.

Does it even have a check engine light?
By funk53daba on 10/10/12 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I really don't know, now that I think about it. I found a nice one-owner with 124K. After two years it has 175K and the only thing that has not been routine maintenance has been some rust thru the exhaust system. That's it. Brakes/tires, fluids, filters, and spark plugs. That's all I've had to touch. Everything works. I've owned a lot of high mileage cars b/c I prefer them for various reasons but this one acts half it's age. It also beasted thru the Appalachian mountains loaded with myself and about 250lbs of military gear, so don't underestimate the power under the hood. And I average 35 mpg.

Built to last
By frank0001 on 09/03/12 14:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought car in 4/2001 at Honda dealer w 100k warrantee for $13k. Had 36000 miles on odometer. 11 years and 190k miles later, still runs great: 30mpg, doesn't burn oil, fun to drive, no rust on body. Usual maintenance: 2 timing belts with water pump, new exhaust and muffler. Only glitch-needed new catalytic converter, 02 sensors, and new distributer in 2011. Bought cat and sensors online at Majestic Honda and saved $$$$. Just change oil often and this car will run forever.

Great Car
By joegti10 on 08/13/12 21:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

My sister bought it a few years old with very low miles and I picked it up off of her 7 years ago with 100K. Its still going strong at 201K with regular 3k oil changes. This is a northeast car where it battles large blizzards, oppressive heat and salt. Here's what has failed and replaced in the last 100k...it was pretty much flawless for the first 100k. I beat on it a bit, lol. Exhaust system (still has orig manifold), distributor cap, radiator, rear swing arm, front brakes a few times, rear brake line, drivers side power window motor, headliner issues, few sets of tires, relay issue with blinker, rear 02 sensor, clearcoat starting to peel. Otherwise it's a great car...

Love my lil 4 banger
By kickback2 on 03/19/12 16:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 1998. Was my first new car. I was into the fast and furious concepts of things. The only mod I still have left on the car is air intake and the exhuast tip. I have gone through 1 window mash attempt to steal the car. They didnt steal at that time. On the side nice big scrape on the passenger door which I never fixed. Then the car was stolen and took my nice after market system with sub and amps. To say the least I was bummed. They found the car 3 days later. I had my insurace restore the car to stock has I bought brand new. I can say I have repalced several things over the pass 14 years with 145,000 miles on it ans still running great.

Dependable/Reliable Car
By lillykayda on 02/17/12 11:58 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in April 1998. I've owned this car for almost 14 years. I get regular oil changes. The car now has > 208,000 miles and it still runs great. It still has the original clutch and usually gets 35 mpg and have gotten over 38 mpg at times. I've had to replace the battery twice, front brakes once & muffler once. I will be needing new brake pads on the front and rear soon though. Last year the driver side window got off track and had to be taken apart to fix. The radio volume adjuster doesn't work right. The roof interior where the moonroof is worn. There are some usual exterior flaws. All in all, I've definitely got my money worth. Hoping to get this good with next vehicle.

Even in 2011, still a great car.
By md1032 on 11/23/11 19:56 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

At this point I am passing my 1998 Civic with 218k miles to my younger sibling since I bought a newer Japanese car. This car has been really good to us. We owned a '96 LX sedan, but that was totaled by a woman, so we bought a '97 LX sedan, which was also totaled by a woman some years later. That brings us to our current Civic, a '98 DX, I've put about 80k on it. All are 5-speeds and I can tell you that all three have basically driven identically. If you're looking for a really cheap car that gets decent mileage, you can get one of these for next to nothing and you probably won't regret it at all. It's a great car, and very reliable (assuming you avoid the auto tranny...it's a Honda).

good car
By swanny4 on 04/13/11 23:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic 6 years ago on a junk title. It has always started for me and never let me down. It is so faithful that I am even bored with it! What a good car. Nothing exciting, just faithful.

1998 Honda Civic
By arcticman1 on 04/12/11 21:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I have not been very happy with this car. From the paint peeling to the door handles breaking and wiper motors not working. Now at 155k, a deep knock in the engine (most likely a rod) I'm done with Honda!

Love this Car!!!
By cobraboy1 on 04/11/11 22:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this little coupe! I bought it when I was unemployed for a year and needed something to drive that would be economical, inexpensive, and fuel effeciency. It has done all of things and more. It's comfortable, handles well, and is fun to drive. I bought my 1998 Civic with 95k miles, it now has 115k after 10months of absolutely flawless ownership. Just maintence costs and gas. I get 34mpg in mixed driving and 38mpg highway. cheap alternative no more, I'm a civic believer.