The Civic
By Mountain Man on
1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan
I have personally owned two Hondas (my family has owned many more) and this overall was a good car while I was going to college. It was recently totaled, and as I looked to buy another Honda I was disillusioned with how much people are asking for their used Hondas. Give me a break! They are good cars, but not gold bricks on wheels! I had some problems with my car, so they are not impervious to damage and are not maitenance free. I think too much of a mystique has been built around Honda reliability to the point of being ridiculous! This is evidenced in how much people were asking for their Hondas with obvious blemishes. I ended up buying a luxury car for less.
Favorite Features
Fun VTEC kick. Overall a straight forward car that is easy to work on (mostly, except for oil changes with the stupid exhaust system in the way of the oil filter). The stereo was great. It was good looking - but unfortunately thieves thought so as well
Suggested Improvements
Thief magnet that is easy to steal. The inner fender liner tore repeatedly on the passenger side, the cup holders stink, the interior wore down early. Rotor warp was a constant. The transmission became rough after 90k. Hydroplanes easily and has too much body roll in cornering.