1997 Honda Civic 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - An excellent automobile, but not

1997 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Review

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

An excellent automobile, but not perfect
By Joseph Kotran on

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Honda Civics are often well reviewed by the automotive media and consumers. I think that the praise is deserved, but somewhat exaggerated. I have owned my '97 Civic LX for five years now. I am happy with it, I have had no mechanical problems, and I still like the way it looks. However, I think that the Civic is very much lacking in comfort. My chief complaint regards excessive cabin noise. The engine and road noise are far too loud for long distance trips. Even a short commute to work can frustrate as I often have to play radio at a loud volume to drown out the noise.

Favorite Features

1) Very low cost of ownership 2) Dependable reliability in all weather 3) Pleasing styling that has aged well

Suggested Improvements

1) Cabin noise is excessive. 2) Power windows are very slow and weak. In winter it is common for them to get stuck. 3) Poor quality paint on external, plastic body parts. 4) Air conditioning is weak. (Previously owned GM and Ford cars had excellent, instant icebox A/C.)