1997 Honda Civic 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - A good buy

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

A good buy
By 986man on

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car late 2000 as my first car. It had about 69,000 miles and I have since run that up to almost 127,000. The cost of planned maintenance is low, tires are inexpensive, and oil changes at 4,000 mile intervals don't seem to matter. I have only had two unplanned maintenance issues: the ignition coil failed and the car shutdown. This was due to old spark plugs that I had not changed at the needed interval (my fault). Second, a CV joint cracked, although this was probably from normal wear and tear. Bottom line, very few unplanned issues over a LONG life :). Good reliabilty! The car (127 hp, auto trans) is not fast, but it handles well.

Favorite Features

Very light curb weight (<2600 lbs) makes for acceptable performance from a tiny engine. Superb gas efficiency. Comfortable seats, despite the unrefined interior. Handy rear split/fold down seats. Good exterior aesthetics. Very low cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

Need improvements on interior window linings. Living in FL, the linings melted and ruined in inside windows Needs better brakes. Small front disc and rear drum with very poor stopping distance Needs better wheels/tires (5.5 inch width, 14 inch wheel) are not good for braking.