Does not live up to its name
By slowcar on
1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe
I purchased this Honda to replace my Turbo Eclipse because i needed a daily driver car for my commute to Nashville. Car has been riddled with problems. 139k transmission went out, spark plugs were seized in head. Now my electrical system is malfunctioning. The headlights Dim i am throwing codes for oxygen sensor, speed sensor, and ELD. cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I will never buy a Honda again, i must have been one of the few that purchased a true lemon. i have had the car for 6 months drove it 6000 miles and have had to invest 3500 on top of the 3000 cost. Horrible design why did i get such a lemon?
Favorite Features
gas mileage
Suggested Improvements
Electrical system needs improvement. Drive train automatic transmission does not have a pan filter it is inside the transmission better reliability.
By yokalow
on 05/01/11 12:47 PM (PDT)

All you have to do is read some forums or Chilitons/Haynes book. I'm no mechanic but I do have a degree and can read. My throw-out bearing went out on mine and I bought my parts dirt cheap off of ebay and replaced them in a weekend. The maintenance of the vehicle is virtually zero. I'd be glad to take that care off of your hands! To me, it sounds like your voltage regulator on your alternator needs to be replaced or even your altenator. Speed sensor could just be a simple plug. Don't give up on the car...research on how to fix it and even join a forum. These cars ARE bullet proof and are the most cost effective vehicle on the market. I did a cost analysis on civics vs. prius....comparing apples to apples, it would take 277,000 miles to break even by buying a prius. That said, if you invest the money that you saved by buying a civic vs. a prius you'll never get ahead. Anyway, don't let your unsuccessful purchase plague your opinion of these vehicles. Invest a little time and effort and you'll be grateful you did.