1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great little car
By freudy on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've had my car for 7 years now, and I'm just looking to sell it and get a new honda. The only recall this car has ever had was with the floor mats - seriously. I still manage to get 30-34 MPG. Still handles very well, and I'm only now starting to hear some rattles - mostly in the driver's door - and that is because i've had issues with my windows. my cousin, and my best friend also have similiar style honda civics and have experienced the same problem - the windows fall off track or get stuck. you can fix it yourself pretty easily, but i had my mechanic do it for $50 and the window works great now. thats my only complaint.

a good car to buy even used
By rocky1318 on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

i bought this car from a private seller and it runs great. no wear and tear except for maybe as couple scratches on the outside. a good car to buy new or used.

My Civic is the bomb!
By Kellylicious on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my Civic when it was a year old and have loved it every day sense. I moved to Hawaii and could not part with it, so it took a cruise over and made it fine. I've never had a problem with it, outside of the driver's side window getting stuck last year (although this may have to do with after-factory tint I had put on at that time) and this was easily fixed. I wish it had more power going up mountains, but it is worth it to have the awesome gas mileage (30 - 34 mpg even with city driving). I love my car and have not once regretted this purchase. It has never let me down.

lame honda
By jrehgkjfhg on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

This has been a fun and relatively reliable car but the build quality. The front rotors have been turned 5 times and replaced once and the steering wheel still shimmies. The computer has been replaced along with the oxygen sensor. The latest problem is an intermittant engine knock. It occurs sometimeswhen cold and sometimes when fully warmed up. It's not very confidence inspiring and I'm trading it in because of it for a Nissan.

Great First Car
By mmgiardina on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I bought on my own. I have been really happy with it. The reliability is fantastic, nothing frustrates me more than bringing my car into the shop. When I have my second child I'll have to trade this one in, two kids and a Golden Retriever would not fit comfortably in the back seat. Hey, maybe I'll save it for when my kid can drive. It's got a lot of years left in it!

Outstanding
By j8h9 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I'm writing this review if only to get through my mourning of the loss of my 1997 Honda Civic EX... I was hit and the car was totaled and I'm thinking of suing for emotional distress. Gawd I loved that car.

reliable econo-car
By rh&sw on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

We've had this car for over 6 years now. Bought it new. The car is very reliable. It get's decent mileage. Avg about 27MPG in mixed city/hwy. The only problem was the battery failed at about 5 years. This is normal I suppose.

Best car I've ever owned
By MaeMcDonald on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent car, and a great value. I haven't had a SINGLE problem with this car. Granted, I am very good at keeping the regular maintenance schedule.

HARDY HONDA
By John on Long island on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

So Far I have 148,000 miles on my Civic DX. So far. The only money I spent on it are for Oil Changes, 2 sets of Brakes. and I just changed into my 3rd set of tires. (I could still get 20K more out of them. but always play it safe to make up for the lack of ABS brakes). Other than that.. CANT ASK for a BETTER CAR.

97 civic lx
By marcelo on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This car just hit 100000 and has never been in a shop unless for oil change and maintenance.