Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

By 2nd Timer to Honda

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Follow up tp be to my earlier post, 12/28/06. Confirmed that this car has an ABS, another plus point. Came across an exhaust crack issue. That was fixed by the dealer, no charge. I came to know that Honda was aware of this issue and they have extended the warranty to 15 years or 150K for this issue. Please don't be fooled to pay dealer approximately $1000 for this repair. Fixed pulley in the engine and now this car is at a point that I don't need to do any repair. I like driving it. Yes, it would be nice to have a little more horsepower but overall I am happy with this car.

2nd Timer to Honda
By 2nd Timer to Honda

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Just bought Honda 97 LX with 114.5K miles from a private party as a 2nd car, well kept. My initial reposne is good, stable drive, engine looks to be in good condition. Previously, I had Accord 2000 EX and have now Altima 06. Good to know this comes with keyless entry and auto-theft. Still checking for ABS. Not sure if that comes standard, i think it does but please don't take my word for it. Will be updating this board in about 6 months. If looking for 2nd car, go for it, check with the seller about the timing belts, water pumps and brakes service info (at least).

Auto-theft and keyless as standard.

I bought it used and it's running great
By civic97

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I spent $4000 on my 97 civic hatchback 6 months ago when it has 155,000 miles on it. It's been 6 months and it running great and the average of 320 miles per tank of gas. It does not have any problem on it. All I did is oil change. Engine is still running strong. I just love it.

Love this car
By Hondalover

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 89k miles a year and a half ago after totaling my 2004 Sunfire and I must say that this is probably the best car I've ever owned. Sleek styling, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage, and very reliable. It now has 136k miles and the only thing I've had to replace was a faulty starter at 119k miles, and a front bumper and fender after a collision at 125k. Repairs are rare but costly when needed. Car still looks and drives like new (no squeaks or rattles and everything still works) even after 136k miles and being wrecked, which says a lot about Honda products. If this car ever quits on me, which I doubt will be any time soon, I will definitely own another Honda.

Suprisingly smooth ride for such a small car, outstanding fuel economy, styling still looks good after 8 years, very dependable, feels like a brand new car, lots of standard features for relatively low price(pw, pl, pm, ac, cruise control, 6 disc Alpine CD changer)

Could use a bit more horsepower....um....that's about it.

188,000 and time to retire
By DaveInPhoenix

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 125k mi. in 2001. I immediately recognized the potential for how fun this car would be with some modifications. I put 17" wheels on (best performance mod, BTW) and a 1.5" lower suspension. This car handles like it's on rails. Every time I drive this car it's like I'm racing on Mazda Speedway. Much fun! Mileage is great with average 30mpg considering my driving habits. I grenaded the motor at 150k mi and the transmission is now in need of replacement, but I bear full responsibility for these things because of my driving style. The rest of the car is tip-top and would probably last another 200k mi. My only ongoing complaint has been effectiveness of A/C.

Fun car, very reliable, great MPG.

I live in Phoenix. On days over 115, the A/C is worthless in stop-and go driving or highway trips under 20 miles. I did have a problem with the drivers side power window just after I bought the car, but fixed it myself with a $50 part from the dealer.