Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great car
By jb

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Good car, great on gas, I love it. It's safe and reliable. I would recommend it for anyone with a family or not. It's very reliable

All of it.

Stronger bumper.

A good buy
By 986man

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car late 2000 as my first car. It had about 69,000 miles and I have since run that up to almost 127,000. The cost of planned maintenance is low, tires are inexpensive, and oil changes at 4,000 mile intervals don't seem to matter. I have only had two unplanned maintenance issues: the ignition coil failed and the car shutdown. This was due to old spark plugs that I had not changed at the needed interval (my fault). Second, a CV joint cracked, although this was probably from normal wear and tear. Bottom line, very few unplanned issues over a LONG life :). Good reliabilty! The car (127 hp, auto trans) is not fast, but it handles well.

Very light curb weight (<2600 lbs) makes for acceptable performance from a tiny engine. Superb gas efficiency. Comfortable seats, despite the unrefined interior. Handy rear split/fold down seats. Good exterior aesthetics. Very low cost of ownership.

Need improvements on interior window linings. Living in FL, the linings melted and ruined in inside windows Needs better brakes. Small front disc and rear drum with very poor stopping distance Needs better wheels/tires (5.5 inch width, 14 inch wheel) are not good for braking.

Still chuggin' along
By Will C

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new back in February 1997. It's now over 10 years old. What can I say about this car? It's been through 2 accidents, 2 AC systems (compressor locked and then a rock flew right into it), 5 windshields, blown head gasket, but it's still running along. The car still looks new, since I take care of my car, except the front. I drive A LOT! The paint is peeling on the front bumper and the hood, but the rest of the car looks new. It's getting time to buy another car. But I want to see the odometer roll to over 200K, and then I'm selling it off. I can't believe a lot of people are still interested in this car. I'm movin' on up. I'm looking into buying either a TSX or Accord

It still drives great! Gas mileage is ho hum (maybe due to the way I drive). Body is still good.

AC not so strong; better power windows.

My Civic is pretty G
By Thug Life

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for about nine months. I have to say it is quite premium. It looks very nice, is easy to work on, and is fun to drive. Like other reviewers, I really like the lack of power steering and the driving feel it brings. The car is easy to work on and has a lot of tuning potential. Also I get well above 35 MPG in the city.

Beautiful red exterior.Tuning potential. Gas mileage. Reliability. Fun to drive with 5 speed.

Not the quickest car on the road. All the interior and exterior pieces are held together with plastic clips.

Love my Honda!
By Steve

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've owned my Civic Ex since it was new & have been very pleased overall with it. It has been extremely reliable. The drive train, body & hardware have held up nicely. Only a couple of flaws: the SRS failed under extended warranty, but has failed again out of warranty--cost approx $500 to repair: Ouch! Fob doesn't work any longer--it is 10 yrs old, maybe I'm expecting too much. Had to replace driver's window regulator, also replaced master & slave cylinders for the clutch. I consider these to be normal wear & tear items on a car of this age & mileage. Will sell this car soon as I have been given a company car. I'll miss my Honda!

From a drive train standpoint, this car still runs as good as the day I drove it off the lot! Its suspension and ride is still excellent--still have original shocks. Purrs like a kitten on the highway at 70-75 mph.

The only thing I am disappointed in with this car is the SRS failure: 2 times already. I think a safety feature like that should be warrantied for the life of the car, regardless of manufacturer.