1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Honda = Reliability
By Honda_Owner on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This was my first major investment and I have no regrets with my purchase. I plan to drive this until it can't go anymore. I have had to do minimal maintenance. I added a Honda spoiler, tint and fog lights and just love the look!

Great Used Car
By GoGators on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Bought this car from a high school buddy with 78k miles. Put in some fresh plugs, runs great. 5 spd tranny is essential. I fully expect to get another 100k miles out of this puppy with minor repairs. Drove 300 miles going 75-80mph with the AC blowing and still got 32 mpg (205 size tires!). I'm sure without the AC at a slower speed you could easily get mid 30's.

Car of the times!
By markerickson on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

Better real world gas mileage than the the other four seat hybrid competitors: 37 in the city and 44 on the Highway. I get closer to 40/45 because I overinflate the tires slightly and I'm easy on the throttle. With Honda's reliability, its like driving for free! Great car in these $2-3 per gallon times.

daughter's first car
By djm on 06/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I'd seen this car in the neighborhood. My wife and daughter were looking for Jeeps. This car went on the market in the morning and I knew this was the perfect car. Reliable and low maintenance. Fun but practical. I think I'll drive it around town for the economy

love it!
By jevans on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car and I love it! I agree with the other review about road noise... but that's about the only flaw. My next purchase will probably be an Accord or Acura. So durable, I drive it like a pickup. And for such a "small" car, it has a ton of cargo space... moved to and from college in it. love it, love it, love it!!!

Best car I've ever owned, period.
By NWTransplant on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I've had mine since 3,300 miles and couldn't be happier. No reliability issues whatsoever. Built like a fine Swiss watch. Follow the maintenance schedule according to the owner's manual (as I do) and the car reward you with amazingly trouble-free motoring. If deprived of my Civic, I would immediately seek another one just like it with no hesitation. It's like a premium motorcar in a smaller, less expensive package.

CVT Transmission Problems
By Klaus21 on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

CVT transmission developed serious problems at 60,000 miles and cost $2500 to fix, at the only shop or dealer which was willing to touch it. Now, at 65000 miles, it is going out again. Very disappointing for a car bought because one of its main features was supposed to be reliablity.

The Civic
By Weasel661 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

My Civic was the second car I ever bought, and it is really fun to drive, It isn't the fastest car out there, but it sure is not the slowest. I really enjoy my Civic, and am extremely glad that I bought it!

As Good as Any Honda
By FinalHeven on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

This car is just what you'd expect in a Honda. It gets great gas mileage and plenty of power. There have been some minor annoyances with sounds and accessories, but nothing major. When I drove my car after a very cold night the thermostat broke and caused the car to overheat, but there was no damage besides the broken piece. I had the side panels repaired after someone hit me in a parking lot and now it looks better than it did before it was hit, though the doors creak a little. Overall a really good used car and one that is well worth the $4800 I paid for it.

Don't want to give up
By partingsweetsorrow on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Fell in love with car from moment saw and first drove it.Searched for Hondas due to reliabilty and high fuel ecomony. This car is great for city and/or suburbia. Love having a manual but soon give up sadly to a condition that allows me to drive automatic at maximum. I intend to find another Honda. I had to replace muffler,due to the large amount of erosion caused in Chicago winters, and an unavoidable pothole/debris incident (Chicago streets ;-{ hurt radiator but the new one will outlast the engine YEARS from now if possible. I adore paying so little in comparison once every 2 weeks for gas even for a job that requires me to drive daily!