Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Still chuggin' along
By Will C

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new back in February 1997. It's now over 10 years old. What can I say about this car? It's been through 2 accidents, 2 AC systems (compressor locked and then a rock flew right into it), 5 windshields, blown head gasket, but it's still running along. The car still looks new, since I take care of my car, except the front. I drive A LOT! The paint is peeling on the front bumper and the hood, but the rest of the car looks new. It's getting time to buy another car. But I want to see the odometer roll to over 200K, and then I'm selling it off. I can't believe a lot of people are still interested in this car. I'm movin' on up. I'm looking into buying either a TSX or Accord

It still drives great! Gas mileage is ho hum (maybe due to the way I drive). Body is still good.

AC not so strong; better power windows.

My Civic is pretty G
By Thug Life

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for about nine months. I have to say it is quite premium. It looks very nice, is easy to work on, and is fun to drive. Like other reviewers, I really like the lack of power steering and the driving feel it brings. The car is easy to work on and has a lot of tuning potential. Also I get well above 35 MPG in the city.

Beautiful red exterior.Tuning potential. Gas mileage. Reliability. Fun to drive with 5 speed.

Not the quickest car on the road. All the interior and exterior pieces are held together with plastic clips.

Love my Honda!
By Steve

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've owned my Civic Ex since it was new & have been very pleased overall with it. It has been extremely reliable. The drive train, body & hardware have held up nicely. Only a couple of flaws: the SRS failed under extended warranty, but has failed again out of warranty--cost approx $500 to repair: Ouch! Fob doesn't work any longer--it is 10 yrs old, maybe I'm expecting too much. Had to replace driver's window regulator, also replaced master & slave cylinders for the clutch. I consider these to be normal wear & tear items on a car of this age & mileage. Will sell this car soon as I have been given a company car. I'll miss my Honda!

From a drive train standpoint, this car still runs as good as the day I drove it off the lot! Its suspension and ride is still excellent--still have original shocks. Purrs like a kitten on the highway at 70-75 mph.

The only thing I am disappointed in with this car is the SRS failure: 2 times already. I think a safety feature like that should be warrantied for the life of the car, regardless of manufacturer.

By 2nd Timer to Honda

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Follow up tp be to my earlier post, 12/28/06. Confirmed that this car has an ABS, another plus point. Came across an exhaust crack issue. That was fixed by the dealer, no charge. I came to know that Honda was aware of this issue and they have extended the warranty to 15 years or 150K for this issue. Please don't be fooled to pay dealer approximately $1000 for this repair. Fixed pulley in the engine and now this car is at a point that I don't need to do any repair. I like driving it. Yes, it would be nice to have a little more horsepower but overall I am happy with this car.

2nd Timer to Honda
By 2nd Timer to Honda

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Just bought Honda 97 LX with 114.5K miles from a private party as a 2nd car, well kept. My initial reposne is good, stable drive, engine looks to be in good condition. Previously, I had Accord 2000 EX and have now Altima 06. Good to know this comes with keyless entry and auto-theft. Still checking for ABS. Not sure if that comes standard, i think it does but please don't take my word for it. Will be updating this board in about 6 months. If looking for 2nd car, go for it, check with the seller about the timing belts, water pumps and brakes service info (at least).

Auto-theft and keyless as standard.