1997 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
205K and still running strong!
By autox17 on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

There isn't much that I haven't done to my civic...I've driven cross country, drag raced, auto-x'd, used and abused it and it still gets me back and forth to work with ease. I replace the motor at 175,000 miles b/c I found a great deal on a low mileage used one, but it surely could have made it another 50K miles with no problems. Only issues I have had with it are the window motors and a cracked exhaust manifold. No biggie's though. If you can find one of these used with relatively low miles, get it!

175,000 and running
By 3-69 on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have put this civic through hell and back. From florida to virginia back down and across the states to california! All while touching the redline at least once daily. Not a single fault till i tripped over 170,000, when i got a new engine ... all my fault(extreme driving). This car is definitely reliable.

Great car
By puffy999 on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

The car is great. It handles well, goes as fast as I need it to go, and is great on gas. Has not had one problem since I purchased the car. There is only one difficulty I've found. It does not want to go into reverse very easily with a 5-speed manual transmission. It sometimes takes a bit of work, especially on a slight hill. Also, if you are putting in an aftermarket stereo system with subwoofers, make sure you take a day off to do it. It takes awhile to take the entire interior of the car apart. Remember to connect a couple wires in the stereo plug if you want to use the dome light!

Great car
By Zipsfb on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I got rid of my 1998 Mustang for a 1997 Civic HX for mainly fuel economy. Lots of road trips and it hasn't let me down. Easy to work on and parts are cheap for engine upgrades. Also relatively simple to install car audio components into. Overall a little slow, but making it fast is all part of the fun. Great car.

Ex coupe
By knight on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Very good car, nice to drive, easy to own, economic but fast, with lots of accessories on the market

Honda civic DX
By Prettyboy on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving my civic for close to four years now and have had very little problems with it. It has been the best car I have ever owned. Even though it is the base model it still gets looks when i drive it around town. I plan to keep me civic for a few more years to come.

Bippy is the best!!
By Bippy on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I got my Bippy four years ago and absolutely love it! I have driven it cross-country many times and have never had a problem going anywhere. The gas mileage is great, and it runs just as well today as it did when I bought it used four years ago.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED
By Lisa1536 on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I purchased the Honda anomaly. I am shocked at what is happening to my CVT transmission. It is going out on my 6- year-old car with 78,000 miles. I bought a Honda to avoid problems like this, but unfortunately things are not going like I thought they would. Except for window regulators, I have had no problem with this car, except this $4500 one. I know this is unusual, but understand, it does happen.

Great around-town Car
By jacobwallace on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since it was brand new, and I still love it! I've never had a major problem with it - totally reliable, although Honda had to replace the alternator, moonroof motor, and one headlight at various times early in life (ALL done under warranty, and on routine visits, not after any serious failures). Honda service is wonderful, if pricey - if having your car start every morning is worth your money, Honda is the way to go.

Very reliable car
By opunty on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have had no problems with this car and it is a 1997. I have only performed the roitine maintenance and I drive the car very hard at time. I can't even bring myself to sell it because it is rated one of the best used cars and I have had nothing wrong with it. 81,000 miles and still runs as well as it did with 10,000 miles.