1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
I bought it used and it's running great
By civic97 on 05/04/06 22:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I spent $4000 on my 97 civic hatchback 6 months ago when it has 155,000 miles on it. It's been 6 months and it running great and the average of 320 miles per tank of gas. It does not have any problem on it. All I did is oil change. Engine is still running strong. I just love it.

Love this car
By Hondalover on 01/22/06 17:12 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 89k miles a year and a half ago after totaling my 2004 Sunfire and I must say that this is probably the best car I've ever owned. Sleek styling, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage, and very reliable. It now has 136k miles and the only thing I've had to replace was a faulty starter at 119k miles, and a front bumper and fender after a collision at 125k. Repairs are rare but costly when needed. Car still looks and drives like new (no squeaks or rattles and everything still works) even after 136k miles and being wrecked, which says a lot about Honda products. If this car ever quits on me, which I doubt will be any time soon, I will definitely own another Honda.

188,000 and time to retire
By DaveInPhoenix on 01/22/06 09:58 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 125k mi. in 2001. I immediately recognized the potential for how fun this car would be with some modifications. I put 17" wheels on (best performance mod, BTW) and a 1.5" lower suspension. This car handles like it's on rails. Every time I drive this car it's like I'm racing on Mazda Speedway. Much fun! Mileage is great with average 30mpg considering my driving habits. I grenaded the motor at 150k mi and the transmission is now in need of replacement, but I bear full responsibility for these things because of my driving style. The rest of the car is tip-top and would probably last another 200k mi. My only ongoing complaint has been effectiveness of A/C.

civic ex
By kedgman on 01/02/06 13:33 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

seems to be a well put together car. handles very well, has better than average gas mileage, a bit hard to get in and out of (due to the fact that I'm 6 ft tall).

Great investment, I love my car
By Elizabeth on 12/19/05 13:17 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful. I'm at 104k miles and hardly any problems so far. Just had some minor things fixed last week (scheduled maintenance, brakes, water pump, timing belt), but before that only the muffler replaced (around 60k probably) and a motor mount (around 90K). Very reliable car, still running very well. I've driven it thousands of miles on the interstate and never had to worry. I love it and plan to keep driving it until it dies.

good ole reliable
By Eric on 12/12/05 16:22 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

What can I say about the civic. Light, nimble, with a quick feel. The only expenses other than fluids, filters, batteries, and tires was the timing belt at 90,000. The car runs effortlessly and still gets 37mpg combined. Honda did a great job making a very economical car sporty and fun. The only problem with mine is a slow passenger side window motor. Now the 2006 civic looks to do it all over again. Get in line to get the Si.

The Civic
By Mountain Man on 10/12/05 18:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I have personally owned two Hondas (my family has owned many more) and this overall was a good car while I was going to college. It was recently totaled, and as I looked to buy another Honda I was disillusioned with how much people are asking for their used Hondas. Give me a break! They are good cars, but not gold bricks on wheels! I had some problems with my car, so they are not impervious to damage and are not maitenance free. I think too much of a mystique has been built around Honda reliability to the point of being ridiculous! This is evidenced in how much people were asking for their Hondas with obvious blemishes. I ended up buying a luxury car for less.

Love my Civic
By Jake on 10/12/05 14:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've had my Civic for 8 years now, and I love it - I even bought my wife an Accord after such a great experience with Honda so far. It feels very stable on the highway, but is manueverable and fun when you downshift and take it around curvy country roads. Great long trip car - I've had it get 40 mpg before on a flat highway, no A/C on, going through a whole tank of gas at a time. Otherwise, it averages about 32-34 mpg in normal commuting. Great car, great company - my next car will have 4 doors though - I didn't really care at the time (college) but now I need 'em (baby).

Mourning my little Civic
By I miss my little car on 08/28/05 20:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I recently totalled my little hatch. I blew a front tire going downhill on the freeway and hit a concrete retaining wall doing about 65 mph. My passenger and I walked away shaken, but unscathed. I'm so sad! That car was my little buddy! It may not have been a fancy car, but it was reliable, fun, and above all, safe. I'm buying another Civic with the money I get for my car...but I really just want the one I had. It was great!

Best Car Ever Owned
By Honda Fan on 08/19/05 16:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I just turned my car over the 100,000 mile mark yesterday and it still runs like it has only 10 miles. I purchased this car new and have not had one major problem with it. In fact, this is the best Honda I've ever owned (after having 3 Accords prior to this purchase). I was only buying this car to keep for a short time, but just can't seem to part with it.