Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The perfect car!
By CivicFlyer

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 97 Civic since 2000 and as long as I keep it tuned up it is getting 40 MPG plus. That is with an hour commute with speeds up to 85 mph. The dealership offered a free warranty tune up once a year. I just had all the bodywork done and a high end paint 2004 Subaru Garnet Black (white and red pearl on black). With a Cold Air Pack you get that piece of junk 70s Honda motorcycle sound (+mpg). I got cool wheels, chrome exhaust tip, mirror tinted back windows... chicks dig it. It looks very similar to a picture I see on the edmunds.com 1997 Honda Civic Styles page. I have run alcohol and hydrogen through it with no problems at all. Very low maintenance and very good power for an economy.

Favorite Features

GOOD gas mileage plus good power. The hatchback is great for moving. The hatch will close with a new dishwasher, two 17 foot extension ladders, etc. in it. You can fit 6x9 speakers in the stock holes in the back. Chicks dig it. It's not me, really, I swear...

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a foot or so longer to hold a little more stuff like the Saab 900 turbo. I want a stretch version. My Saab only gets 35mpg. A cheap 50% hydrogen generator would be cool.

dissapointed
By jg

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

After having this car I can not understand how everyone seems to love it. I bought the car with 46,000 miles on it and now have 93,000. The AC blower motor went out, I've replaced the radiator because it was leaking, it has an oil leak, I have had to replace the muffler, then I had a problem where my break lights wouldn't turn off causing the battery to die constantly. The AC is broken AGAIN, the windshield wipers broke and now will turn on if I go over any kind of bump. There are numerous rattles and shakes. The interior is low quality. I will be so happy when I get rid of the car. I wish it was as reliable as everyone else says they are.

Favorite Features

good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

quality

Great Car
By HondaLover

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car almost 10 years ago. Its a 5 speed manual and it has been very reliable. I have had no major problems in the 100k plus miles I have put on. It is relegated to a kids car now and it gets much more abuse than when my wife and I drove it, but it is still hanging in there. A few years ago I purchased a 2005 EX 4 dr, so I guess its says a lot of about how much we liked this one.

Favorite Features

No really features, but fairly fun to drive, good mileage and great reliability.

Suggested Improvements

They made some already, but stronger AC and more powerful power windows. Controls are a bit confusing at first, but they improved that in later years.

1997 Civic 4 Dr. Manual trans
By alex89

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car was my first one and the one I learned to drive on. Even though I bought it when it was 9 years old and had 140,000 miles on it, it worked great and held up even though I learned to drive manual on it, abused the clutch, and drove recklessly. The Honda Civic is a great car for a first time car buyer as it offers both great economy, inexpensive repairs, and a good driving experience.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes.

Still the best...
By EX-G

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2001 @56K. I did 200K since then, had an accident and the car still runs with no problem. My next car will be a Honda Civic as it packs quality and reliability in one package. Go Civic!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Practicality quality and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better interior design. Not much more to think to improve.