1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Honda convert
By HappyHondaOwner on 10/11/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this civic at 10 y/o (in 2007) with 145,000 miles. I replaced a Ford coupe, at first I was skeptical about the transition to Honda nameplate. Very easy and fun to adjust to the civic, easy to love. The car was very clean, good engine (evrything original). The only repairs needed so far: a radiator replacement (just over $100), brake service overhaul (ouch: $400), alternator replacement (about $100). Routine servicing has included a new set of tires ($245), new battery ($55) and the usual periodic oil changes (at around 5k miles; $23ea), and a autotrans flush ($85). I am currently clocked at 192k (happy) miles! Cant wait to break 200k I know it will...

Great little car!
By oregon girl on 08/02/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable little car! Excellent gas mileage, too. Oh, and it's cute! We love it.

Amazing Car
By guera1904 on 05/18/09 00:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car a little over two years with about 65k miles on it. I've driven this car HARD- I'm now at 110k (mostly highway miles but plenty of city driving as well) with no problems. My AC unit went out, but that's to be expected after 100k miles. I take great care of it, and the mechanics always tell me my car is in great shape mechanically. I wish it had more power on hills and a little more style, but the car is GREAT economically so I cant complain. I would recommend this car to anyone!

Excellent car
By Driver on 05/14/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for 12 years and it's still performing with no problems. I've mostly kept up with the maintenance schedule, but not to the T. My goal is to drive it for 10 more years!

Excellent
By angelo on 04/12/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I like the car because it's economy and a small car that I can park anywhere it will fit; also very economic.

The perfect car!
By CivicFlyer on 04/02/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 97 Civic since 2000 and as long as I keep it tuned up it is getting 40 MPG plus. That is with an hour commute with speeds up to 85 mph. The dealership offered a free warranty tune up once a year. I just had all the bodywork done and a high end paint 2004 Subaru Garnet Black (white and red pearl on black). With a Cold Air Pack you get that piece of junk 70s Honda motorcycle sound (+mpg). I got cool wheels, chrome exhaust tip, mirror tinted back windows... chicks dig it. It looks very similar to a picture I see on the edmunds.com 1997 Honda Civic Styles page. I have run alcohol and hydrogen through it with no problems at all. Very low maintenance and very good power for an economy.

dissapointed
By jg on 03/28/09 00:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

After having this car I can not understand how everyone seems to love it. I bought the car with 46,000 miles on it and now have 93,000. The AC blower motor went out, I've replaced the radiator because it was leaking, it has an oil leak, I have had to replace the muffler, then I had a problem where my break lights wouldn't turn off causing the battery to die constantly. The AC is broken AGAIN, the windshield wipers broke and now will turn on if I go over any kind of bump. There are numerous rattles and shakes. The interior is low quality. I will be so happy when I get rid of the car. I wish it was as reliable as everyone else says they are.

Great Car
By HondaLover on 01/31/09 15:40 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car almost 10 years ago. Its a 5 speed manual and it has been very reliable. I have had no major problems in the 100k plus miles I have put on. It is relegated to a kids car now and it gets much more abuse than when my wife and I drove it, but it is still hanging in there. A few years ago I purchased a 2005 EX 4 dr, so I guess its says a lot of about how much we liked this one.

1997 Civic 4 Dr. Manual trans
By alex89 on 01/26/09 00:32 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car was my first one and the one I learned to drive on. Even though I bought it when it was 9 years old and had 140,000 miles on it, it worked great and held up even though I learned to drive manual on it, abused the clutch, and drove recklessly. The Honda Civic is a great car for a first time car buyer as it offers both great economy, inexpensive repairs, and a good driving experience.

Still the best...
By EX-G on 01/08/09 17:48 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2001 @56K. I did 200K since then, had an accident and the car still runs with no problem. My next car will be a Honda Civic as it packs quality and reliability in one package. Go Civic!