Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best car I've ever owned, period.
By NWTransplant

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I've had mine since 3,300 miles and couldn't be happier. No reliability issues whatsoever. Built like a fine Swiss watch. Follow the maintenance schedule according to the owner's manual (as I do) and the car reward you with amazingly trouble-free motoring. If deprived of my Civic, I would immediately seek another one just like it with no hesitation. It's like a premium motorcar in a smaller, less expensive package.

Favorite Features

Where to begin?! Fuel economy (32 average even with lots of city miles), smooth ride, responsive and fun to drive, antilock brakes on this model, roomy interior and trunk, easy to maneuver in traffic, great Honda dealer service. Car feels like it will last for decades.

Suggested Improvements

Increase wheel size from 14 to 15 inches to cut down on body roll in corners, more torque for swifter launching from a stop, and scrap the cupholder which blocks useage of the CD player. That's IT.

CVT Transmission Problems
By Klaus21

1997 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

CVT transmission developed serious problems at 60,000 miles and cost $2500 to fix, at the only shop or dealer which was willing to touch it. Now, at 65000 miles, it is going out again. Very disappointing for a car bought because one of its main features was supposed to be reliablity.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Drop the CVT transmission until they become more reliable or can be fixed. Or buy them from a company which knows how to build them.

The Civic
By Weasel661

1997 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

My Civic was the second car I ever bought, and it is really fun to drive, It isn't the fastest car out there, but it sure is not the slowest. I really enjoy my Civic, and am extremely glad that I bought it!

Favorite Features

5 Speed Transmittion, and styling interior and exterior.

Suggested Improvements

MORE HORSEPOWER! Easier to shift into reverse.

As Good as Any Honda
By FinalHeven

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

This car is just what you'd expect in a Honda. It gets great gas mileage and plenty of power. There have been some minor annoyances with sounds and accessories, but nothing major. When I drove my car after a very cold night the thermostat broke and caused the car to overheat, but there was no damage besides the broken piece. I had the side panels repaired after someone hit me in a parking lot and now it looks better than it did before it was hit, though the doors creak a little. Overall a really good used car and one that is well worth the $4800 I paid for it.

Favorite Features

CD Changer and speaker system that was factory installed.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the noise from air whistling by the car and some other creeks and noises.

Don't want to give up
By partingsweetsorrow

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Fell in love with car from moment saw and first drove it.Searched for Hondas due to reliabilty and high fuel ecomony. This car is great for city and/or suburbia. Love having a manual but soon give up sadly to a condition that allows me to drive automatic at maximum. I intend to find another Honda. I had to replace muffler,due to the large amount of erosion caused in Chicago winters, and an unavoidable pothole/debris incident (Chicago streets ;-{ hurt radiator but the new one will outlast the engine YEARS from now if possible. I adore paying so little in comparison once every 2 weeks for gas even for a job that requires me to drive daily!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, Moonroof, multi-cd changer, RELIABLE, and roomy yet looks sporty/compact.

Suggested Improvements

More oompf while driving the highest mountains! A little quiter, but I tend not to notice due to music, news or on the backroads.