1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Best car I ever had
By SMHuskie on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

7th year with this car. I bought it new in 97 and have put 160000 miles on it. It has never had a major problem and still runs like it has 30,000 miles on it. Still no creeks, rattles or clunks and the car is still more firm feeling than any American car I ever owned. I made it 90,000 miles on the original tires, 150,000 miles on the original brakes (and still had some left to go). I'm itching for a new car but this one acts like it can go another 100,000 without breaking a sweat. Couldn't ask for a better mode of transportation- cheap on gas, insurance, tires and I've put 10' lumber in a 2 door coupe (thanks to the 60/40 fold down). Just awesome!

The most reliable car I've ever owned!
By mrjex43 on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Honda has a long-standing tradition of producing vehicles that are extremely reliable, well-built, and fun to drive. My 97 Civic LX sedan is no exception. Purchased by the original owner in 10/2001, I've only had to replace the battery. The original owner is also a family friend, and with regulary scheduled maintenance, the battery is the only thing that has EVER needed to be replaced. After six years and 85,000 miles, the car still looks and drives like new; no rattles, rust, interior wear - this car was built to last.

Superb
By gunner19 on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've just passed the 100,000 mile marker and she's still as strong as ever. I've never had a problem with this car.

Great small car, just a few small gripes
By Mik on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Great car, should have gotten the fivespeed though. (test drove both) Performance is a little sluggish when the car is full. But its very quick when im by myself. A supercharged/turboed version would fix that wouldnt it? ;)

Great small car, just a few small gripes
By mIK on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Basic fun
By wrb on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

bought base model ( lightest, nothing power but brakes, no options ) for 10800.- Put AEM airintake for better breathing and 10 more hp, sport springs and -shocks ( stiffer and 1.5" lower ), front and rear -swaybars, front strut towerbar, 15" alloys w. 195/55-15 -V rated performance tires, all for much improved handling, race breakpads in front to compensate for weak rear drumbrakes . Total cost for improvements : $ 3000.- Overall result: a small ,light, fast, good handling, cheap car with 40 mls. plus mileage, very reliable and lots of fun !! A 9.5 overall for sure.

Good fun
By austin_engr on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've had a 97 Civic EX coupe for about three weeks now, and I've been generally happy with it so far. The build quality is excellent, and even at high speeds on the freeway the car feels quite solid. Road noise is a tad high. Last week I replaced the OEM Firestone tires with new Michelins, and the road noise dropped to half. My car has a stickshift, which is fun to drive, and has cruise control too. Unfortunately, there is no ABS option with the stickshift models. Except for these minor gotchas, the Civic is a great buy overall.

Honda cant be stopppppped!!!!
By Joe/ HondaHottness on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

My civic is the first car i bought, the aftermarket for this car is crazy. There is so much to do with this car. The vtec is great to i wish a had the cash for the SiR though. My car gets good gas mileage, (better than any american performance car).

1997 Honda
By PS on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I've ever owned. It is almost 6 years old, has 134,000 miles on it and I have never had any trouble with. It still runs like a charm.

An excellent automobile, but not perfect
By Joseph Kotran on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Honda Civics are often well reviewed by the automotive media and consumers. I think that the praise is deserved, but somewhat exaggerated. I have owned my '97 Civic LX for five years now. I am happy with it, I have had no mechanical problems, and I still like the way it looks. However, I think that the Civic is very much lacking in comfort. My chief complaint regards excessive cabin noise. The engine and road noise are far too loud for long distance trips. Even a short commute to work can frustrate as I often have to play radio at a loud volume to drown out the noise.