Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Honda = Reliability
By Honda_Owner

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This was my first major investment and I have no regrets with my purchase. I plan to drive this until it can't go anymore. I have had to do minimal maintenance. I added a Honda spoiler, tint and fog lights and just love the look!

Favorite Features

The "sporty" feel. The solid turns around corners. Most of all, the fuel consumption.

Suggested Improvements

I understand that my car is a DX and that this is a base model. I don't know why it did not come with a trunk light.I don't consider having a trunk light a luxury. It is very hard to get stuff in the night.

Great Used Car
By GoGators

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Bought this car from a high school buddy with 78k miles. Put in some fresh plugs, runs great. 5 spd tranny is essential. I fully expect to get another 100k miles out of this puppy with minor repairs. Drove 300 miles going 75-80mph with the AC blowing and still got 32 mpg (205 size tires!). I'm sure without the AC at a slower speed you could easily get mid 30's.

Favorite Features

Zippy, efficient engine, manual transmission. Still has great legroom (for a small car) in the back seat for my passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest is dinky. Us big guys need something bigger.

Car of the times!
By markerickson

1997 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

Better real world gas mileage than the the other four seat hybrid competitors: 37 in the city and 44 on the Highway. I get closer to 40/45 because I overinflate the tires slightly and I'm easy on the throttle. With Honda's reliability, its like driving for free! Great car in these $2-3 per gallon times.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; nimble, rather quick (115 HP moving 2325lbs), clean lines, very reliable, good egonomics. Mileage is very good in the real world...not just EPA test numbers.

Suggested Improvements

A little more sound-deadoning material. Noisy compared to friends EX Civic. Otherwise nothing!

daughter's first car
By djm

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I'd seen this car in the neighborhood. My wife and daughter were looking for Jeeps. This car went on the market in the morning and I knew this was the perfect car. Reliable and low maintenance. Fun but practical. I think I'll drive it around town for the economy

love it!
By jevans

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car and I love it! I agree with the other review about road noise... but that's about the only flaw. My next purchase will probably be an Accord or Acura. So durable, I drive it like a pickup. And for such a "small" car, it has a ton of cargo space... moved to and from college in it. love it, love it, love it!!!

Favorite Features

everything not listed under suggested improvements.

Suggested Improvements

the road noise... and the rubber trim on the doors and around the headlights falls off pretty easily.