Used 1997 Honda Civic EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Excellent car
By Driver

1997 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for 12 years and it's still performing with no problems. I've mostly kept up with the maintenance schedule, but not to the T. My goal is to drive it for 10 more years!

Favorite Features

Reliability. Light and airy feel when driving (compared to a Chrysler for instance).

Suggested Improvements

For the cost, I think it's great the way it is.

Still the best...
By EX-G

1997 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2001 @56K. I did 200K since then, had an accident and the car still runs with no problem. My next car will be a Honda Civic as it packs quality and reliability in one package. Go Civic!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Practicality quality and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better interior design. Not much more to think to improve.

mpg's
By jb

1997 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Now that gas is 3.50 my 2001 suburban that gets 11 mpg sits in the driveway I bought the 97 civic from a dealer with 178,000 on it after I week the MPG were 36/40 all the sudden it ran like crap went to the auto parts store and 65.00 later and 15 minutes it was tuned up. It runs perfect and when I checked the MPG I was shocked. 80 on the highway and city driving hard like it was a v8 90% city 10% on the highway my MPG were averaging 43 mpg (The suburban was costing me 120 a week in gas at 3.00/gal) I am so happy with it we bought my wife a 2002 civic and she loves it.

The Civic
By Mountain Man

1997 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I have personally owned two Hondas (my family has owned many more) and this overall was a good car while I was going to college. It was recently totaled, and as I looked to buy another Honda I was disillusioned with how much people are asking for their used Hondas. Give me a break! They are good cars, but not gold bricks on wheels! I had some problems with my car, so they are not impervious to damage and are not maitenance free. I think too much of a mystique has been built around Honda reliability to the point of being ridiculous! This is evidenced in how much people were asking for their Hondas with obvious blemishes. I ended up buying a luxury car for less.

Favorite Features

Fun VTEC kick. Overall a straight forward car that is easy to work on (mostly, except for oil changes with the stupid exhaust system in the way of the oil filter). The stereo was great. It was good looking - but unfortunately thieves thought so as well

Suggested Improvements

Thief magnet that is easy to steal. The inner fender liner tore repeatedly on the passenger side, the cup holders stink, the interior wore down early. Rotor warp was a constant. The transmission became rough after 90k. Hydroplanes easily and has too much body roll in cornering.

Best car I've ever owned, period.
By NWTransplant

1997 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I've had mine since 3,300 miles and couldn't be happier. No reliability issues whatsoever. Built like a fine Swiss watch. Follow the maintenance schedule according to the owner's manual (as I do) and the car reward you with amazingly trouble-free motoring. If deprived of my Civic, I would immediately seek another one just like it with no hesitation. It's like a premium motorcar in a smaller, less expensive package.

Favorite Features

Where to begin?! Fuel economy (32 average even with lots of city miles), smooth ride, responsive and fun to drive, antilock brakes on this model, roomy interior and trunk, easy to maneuver in traffic, great Honda dealer service. Car feels like it will last for decades.

Suggested Improvements

Increase wheel size from 14 to 15 inches to cut down on body roll in corners, more torque for swifter launching from a stop, and scrap the cupholder which blocks useage of the CD player. That's IT.