1997 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great commuter car
By theron on 04/09/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Besides looking like grandma's car, this is one dependable vehicle. No major problems in 13 years - new brakes, rotors, tires, 3 new mufflers, and 1 new tailpipe. My friends beg me to sell it to them for commuting. Avg 27 mpg. No sports car but re-li-a-ble. I've had 2 Chrysler vans since 03 for my wife and am about to find a 3rd. Switching to a Honda van due to the reliability of this car and the junk from Chrysler!

Excellent Car
By HondaLover3 on 02/17/10 03:26 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1997 Honda Civic LX Sedan 6 months ago after my 1994 Honda Accord EX-L Sport Couple was totaled by someone pulling out in front of me. I love this civic it is my 3rd Honda it had 209000 miles on it when I bought it and just rolled over 218000 miles in 6 months. The car had one previous owner, needs a paint job but other than that it has original engine and clutch and transmission still drives as its brand new. get around 320 miles per tank. Just regular maint done since I have bought it, oil changes and brake pads. I LOVE THIS CIVIC! as excellent as my dads 95 Acura integra with original motor and power train (automatic) that has 670,000 on it and still drives like new!

Best car for drivin around
By best drive around on 12/10/09 09:26 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got this car a while ago. Still please with it today with 247,000 miles and purr like a cat. I got a good deal with it and decide to use it as a work car since I live 30 miles from work. Guarantee u will never find a better car than this.

Great little car!
By oregon girl on 08/02/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable little car! Excellent gas mileage, too. Oh, and it's cute! We love it.

Excellent
By angelo on 04/12/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I like the car because it's economy and a small car that I can park anywhere it will fit; also very economic.

Great Car
By HondaLover on 01/31/09 15:40 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car almost 10 years ago. Its a 5 speed manual and it has been very reliable. I have had no major problems in the 100k plus miles I have put on. It is relegated to a kids car now and it gets much more abuse than when my wife and I drove it, but it is still hanging in there. A few years ago I purchased a 2005 EX 4 dr, so I guess its says a lot of about how much we liked this one.

Great car
By jb on 07/25/07 08:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Good car, great on gas, I love it. It's safe and reliable. I would recommend it for anyone with a family or not. It's very reliable

Still chuggin' along
By Will C on 04/28/07 16:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new back in February 1997. It's now over 10 years old. What can I say about this car? It's been through 2 accidents, 2 AC systems (compressor locked and then a rock flew right into it), 5 windshields, blown head gasket, but it's still running along. The car still looks new, since I take care of my car, except the front. I drive A LOT! The paint is peeling on the front bumper and the hood, but the rest of the car looks new. It's getting time to buy another car. But I want to see the odometer roll to over 200K, and then I'm selling it off. I can't believe a lot of people are still interested in this car. I'm movin' on up. I'm looking into buying either a TSX or Accord

By 2nd Timer to Honda on 01/14/07 09:02 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Follow up tp be to my earlier post, 12/28/06. Confirmed that this car has an ABS, another plus point. Came across an exhaust crack issue. That was fixed by the dealer, no charge. I came to know that Honda was aware of this issue and they have extended the warranty to 15 years or 150K for this issue. Please don't be fooled to pay dealer approximately $1000 for this repair. Fixed pulley in the engine and now this car is at a point that I don't need to do any repair. I like driving it. Yes, it would be nice to have a little more horsepower but overall I am happy with this car.

2nd Timer to Honda
By 2nd Timer to Honda on 12/28/06 10:44 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Just bought Honda 97 LX with 114.5K miles from a private party as a 2nd car, well kept. My initial reposne is good, stable drive, engine looks to be in good condition. Previously, I had Accord 2000 EX and have now Altima 06. Good to know this comes with keyless entry and auto-theft. Still checking for ABS. Not sure if that comes standard, i think it does but please don't take my word for it. Will be updating this board in about 6 months. If looking for 2nd car, go for it, check with the seller about the timing belts, water pumps and brakes service info (at least).