Used 1997 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Reliable, simple, no frills
By piercejs4

1997 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165000 miles on it without having any major difficulties. The car has never left me stranded.

Favorite Features

No frills = nothing to break

Suggested Improvements

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the water pump and timing belt are a pain in the neck to change. The Idle Air Control Valve went out on my car, as did the Throttle Positioning Sensor. The input shaft bearing went out in the transmission, which I rebuilt at about 160K.

I LOVE MY HONDA!
By Jessica

1997 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for 200,000 miles and still love it. This car has been reliable and efficient all the way! And so much fun to drive! None of the extra bells and whistles on the DX means nothing breaks. Solid car all around. Also handles very well in the snow, this car has never left me in a ditch even through years of nasty winters in upstate NY. I have had numerous exhaust pipes/mufflers put in, but that has been it other than the scheduled maintenance. I love my Honda and the fact that it was built in Ohio (how many of the so-called American cars can say that anymore?). Still has another 100K left in her! My 8 rating for comfort was due to the fact that the car doesn't have AC.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission that's very fun to drive. Great trunk space, with back seats that fold down for your skis. RELIABILITY & GAS MILEAGE 33MPG +

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had AC!

dissapointed
By jg

1997 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

After having this car I can not understand how everyone seems to love it. I bought the car with 46,000 miles on it and now have 93,000. The AC blower motor went out, I've replaced the radiator because it was leaking, it has an oil leak, I have had to replace the muffler, then I had a problem where my break lights wouldn't turn off causing the battery to die constantly. The AC is broken AGAIN, the windshield wipers broke and now will turn on if I go over any kind of bump. There are numerous rattles and shakes. The interior is low quality. I will be so happy when I get rid of the car. I wish it was as reliable as everyone else says they are.

Favorite Features

good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

quality

1997 Civic 4 Dr. Manual trans
By alex89

1997 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was my first one and the one I learned to drive on. Even though I bought it when it was 9 years old and had 140,000 miles on it, it worked great and held up even though I learned to drive manual on it, abused the clutch, and drove recklessly. The Honda Civic is a great car for a first time car buyer as it offers both great economy, inexpensive repairs, and a good driving experience.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes.

Great investment, I love my car
By Elizabeth

1997 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful. I'm at 104k miles and hardly any problems so far. Just had some minor things fixed last week (scheduled maintenance, brakes, water pump, timing belt), but before that only the muffler replaced (around 60k probably) and a motor mount (around 90K). Very reliable car, still running very well. I've driven it thousands of miles on the interstate and never had to worry. I love it and plan to keep driving it until it dies.

Favorite Features

good gas mileage, solid feel even though it's a small car, doesn't feel cramped at all even though it's small

Suggested Improvements

can't think of any.