Used 1997 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Reliable, simple, no frills
By piercejs4

1997 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165000 miles on it without having any major difficulties. The car has never left me stranded.

Favorite Features

No frills = nothing to break

Suggested Improvements

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the water pump and timing belt are a pain in the neck to change. The Idle Air Control Valve went out on my car, as did the Throttle Positioning Sensor. The input shaft bearing went out in the transmission, which I rebuilt at about 160K.

Great commuter car
By theron

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Besides looking like grandma's car, this is one dependable vehicle. No major problems in 13 years - new brakes, rotors, tires, 3 new mufflers, and 1 new tailpipe. My friends beg me to sell it to them for commuting. Avg 27 mpg. No sports car but re-li-a-ble. I've had 2 Chrysler vans since 03 for my wife and am about to find a 3rd. Switching to a Honda van due to the reliability of this car and the junk from Chrysler!

Favorite Features

reliability quality

Suggested Improvements

exhaust was the only area of poor reliability/quality - replaced it 3 times. but i did that myself and I'm no mechanic.

I LOVE MY HONDA!
By Jessica

1997 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for 200,000 miles and still love it. This car has been reliable and efficient all the way! And so much fun to drive! None of the extra bells and whistles on the DX means nothing breaks. Solid car all around. Also handles very well in the snow, this car has never left me in a ditch even through years of nasty winters in upstate NY. I have had numerous exhaust pipes/mufflers put in, but that has been it other than the scheduled maintenance. I love my Honda and the fact that it was built in Ohio (how many of the so-called American cars can say that anymore?). Still has another 100K left in her! My 8 rating for comfort was due to the fact that the car doesn't have AC.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission that's very fun to drive. Great trunk space, with back seats that fold down for your skis. RELIABILITY & GAS MILEAGE 33MPG +

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had AC!

Excellent Car
By HondaLover3

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1997 Honda Civic LX Sedan 6 months ago after my 1994 Honda Accord EX-L Sport Couple was totaled by someone pulling out in front of me. I love this civic it is my 3rd Honda it had 209000 miles on it when I bought it and just rolled over 218000 miles in 6 months. The car had one previous owner, needs a paint job but other than that it has original engine and clutch and transmission still drives as its brand new. get around 320 miles per tank. Just regular maint done since I have bought it, oil changes and brake pads. I LOVE THIS CIVIC! as excellent as my dads 95 Acura integra with original motor and power train (automatic) that has 670,000 on it and still drives like new!

Favorite Features

Easy to handle, park, maneuver. Great AC and Heat!

Suggested Improvements

For the year, none that I can think of its a great car! I will always be a loyal Honda Owner, I have had a 92 Honda Accord Lx Sedan, Perfect never any problems, 94 Accord EX-L Coupe Perfect never any problems either!

Best car for drivin around
By best drive around

1997 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got this car a while ago. Still please with it today with 247,000 miles and purr like a cat. I got a good deal with it and decide to use it as a work car since I live 30 miles from work. Guarantee u will never find a better car than this.

Favorite Features

very easy to maintain

Suggested Improvements

road noise