Used 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

A decent car
By The Dude

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Not a bad little car. My commute is 100 mi/day, and I bought it for commuting and hauling. I'm familiar with Hondas, so when the 5-spd failed I wasn't surprised. Gets 40-43 MPG consistently. Like the hatch and fold-down seats to haul ladders, furniture, trees, tools, wood, etc. There's a lot of cheapness inside, but not the hollow cheap you get with GM or Ford. Handling isn't great, but not terrible. I don't know why ppl race these so much when it's only a commuter at best.

Favorite Features

MPGs, interior space

Suggested Improvements

I wish the back was about 6" longer, and just when you get something big to fit (a box), the sloped rear glass says, "no". Honda manual transmissions are all garbage, but cheap and easy to rebuild.

Amazing Car
By guera1904

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car a little over two years with about 65k miles on it. I've driven this car HARD- I'm now at 110k (mostly highway miles but plenty of city driving as well) with no problems. My AC unit went out, but that's to be expected after 100k miles. I take great care of it, and the mechanics always tell me my car is in great shape mechanically. I wish it had more power on hills and a little more style, but the car is GREAT economically so I cant complain. I would recommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

GREAT gas mileage (between $15-$20 a tank for 350 miles), extremely reliable, cheap & easy maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

More power...but considering the great gas mileage I can't complain. And a roomier interior would be nice, but again...

The perfect car!
By CivicFlyer

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 97 Civic since 2000 and as long as I keep it tuned up it is getting 40 MPG plus. That is with an hour commute with speeds up to 85 mph. The dealership offered a free warranty tune up once a year. I just had all the bodywork done and a high end paint 2004 Subaru Garnet Black (white and red pearl on black). With a Cold Air Pack you get that piece of junk 70s Honda motorcycle sound (+mpg). I got cool wheels, chrome exhaust tip, mirror tinted back windows... chicks dig it. It looks very similar to a picture I see on the edmunds.com 1997 Honda Civic Styles page. I have run alcohol and hydrogen through it with no problems at all. Very low maintenance and very good power for an economy.

Favorite Features

GOOD gas mileage plus good power. The hatchback is great for moving. The hatch will close with a new dishwasher, two 17 foot extension ladders, etc. in it. You can fit 6x9 speakers in the stock holes in the back. Chicks dig it. It's not me, really, I swear...

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a foot or so longer to hold a little more stuff like the Saab 900 turbo. I want a stretch version. My Saab only gets 35mpg. A cheap 50% hydrogen generator would be cool.

I bought it used and it's running great
By civic97

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I spent $4000 on my 97 civic hatchback 6 months ago when it has 155,000 miles on it. It's been 6 months and it running great and the average of 320 miles per tank of gas. It does not have any problem on it. All I did is oil change. Engine is still running strong. I just love it.

Mourning my little Civic
By I miss my little car

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I recently totalled my little hatch. I blew a front tire going downhill on the freeway and hit a concrete retaining wall doing about 65 mph. My passenger and I walked away shaken, but unscathed. I'm so sad! That car was my little buddy! It may not have been a fancy car, but it was reliable, fun, and above all, safe. I'm buying another Civic with the money I get for my car...but I really just want the one I had. It was great!

Favorite Features

Visibility, safety, size...great for city driving where you have to parallel park a lot. GREAT gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Sound system, mediocre pickup. Prone to rust. Hydroplaned easily.