1997 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
A decent car
By The Dude on 01/27/10 13:16 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Not a bad little car. My commute is 100 mi/day, and I bought it for commuting and hauling. I'm familiar with Hondas, so when the 5-spd failed I wasn't surprised. Gets 40-43 MPG consistently. Like the hatch and fold-down seats to haul ladders, furniture, trees, tools, wood, etc. There's a lot of cheapness inside, but not the hollow cheap you get with GM or Ford. Handling isn't great, but not terrible. I don't know why ppl race these so much when it's only a commuter at best.

Amazing Car
By guera1904 on 05/18/09 00:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car a little over two years with about 65k miles on it. I've driven this car HARD- I'm now at 110k (mostly highway miles but plenty of city driving as well) with no problems. My AC unit went out, but that's to be expected after 100k miles. I take great care of it, and the mechanics always tell me my car is in great shape mechanically. I wish it had more power on hills and a little more style, but the car is GREAT economically so I cant complain. I would recommend this car to anyone!

The perfect car!
By CivicFlyer on 04/02/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 97 Civic since 2000 and as long as I keep it tuned up it is getting 40 MPG plus. That is with an hour commute with speeds up to 85 mph. The dealership offered a free warranty tune up once a year. I just had all the bodywork done and a high end paint 2004 Subaru Garnet Black (white and red pearl on black). With a Cold Air Pack you get that piece of junk 70s Honda motorcycle sound (+mpg). I got cool wheels, chrome exhaust tip, mirror tinted back windows... chicks dig it. It looks very similar to a picture I see on the edmunds.com 1997 Honda Civic Styles page. I have run alcohol and hydrogen through it with no problems at all. Very low maintenance and very good power for an economy.

I bought it used and it's running great
By civic97 on 05/04/06 22:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I spent $4000 on my 97 civic hatchback 6 months ago when it has 155,000 miles on it. It's been 6 months and it running great and the average of 320 miles per tank of gas. It does not have any problem on it. All I did is oil change. Engine is still running strong. I just love it.

Mourning my little Civic
By I miss my little car on 08/28/05 20:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I recently totalled my little hatch. I blew a front tire going downhill on the freeway and hit a concrete retaining wall doing about 65 mph. My passenger and I walked away shaken, but unscathed. I'm so sad! That car was my little buddy! It may not have been a fancy car, but it was reliable, fun, and above all, safe. I'm buying another Civic with the money I get for my car...but I really just want the one I had. It was great!

One Major Problem, Otherwise Great
By Bill on 04/26/05 10:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

This has been a great car. I bought it new and drive less than 10,000 miles per year. I have had a major problem with the exhaust system. I have had to have the exhaust pipe replaced twice and the muffler replaced once. I just had the pipe replaced 4000 miles ago and its beginning to rattle again. The mechanic says that short trips tend to do this to an exhaust (condensation does not have a chance to evaporate and rots the pipes) but I don't know. One minor problem is that the window fell off track and had to be replaced. Overall the car is great, and I have had no engine problems at all.

A little red dream
By Joe on 03/31/05 17:53 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

My little red civic hatchback (3 door) is a dream to own. with oil changes every 3000 miles, it has run like new since the day i got it. i haven't had any problems with it what so ever. If you are looking for a reliable and stylish used car, this is the one to go with. it won't let you down.

A Blemish on Honda's Record
By NoMoreHonda on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased a 97 Honda Civic CX hatchback with only 37,000 miles on it. Within the first week, a sensor and ignition coil both failed and the car left me sit. The engine is terribly underpowered. I spent $600 on new shocks/struts only to find that the terrible ride quality had not improved. The doors rattled and interior noise was plentiful. NO extras, not even lights in the glove box or rear hatch. There are Hyundais out there which look, feel, and run better than that car did! I sold it within a year and bought an 86 Subaru which actually feels BETTER!

lame honda
By jrehgkjfhg on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

This has been a fun and relatively reliable car but the build quality. The front rotors have been turned 5 times and replaced once and the steering wheel still shimmies. The computer has been replaced along with the oxygen sensor. The latest problem is an intermittant engine knock. It occurs sometimeswhen cold and sometimes when fully warmed up. It's not very confidence inspiring and I'm trading it in because of it for a Nissan.

EXCELLENT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Matthew N. on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 67000 miles on it for 45000, and i really got my money's worth. I loved it to death. I got in a major wreck at 72000 miles. I only drove 5000 and can testify that it was yet the greatest car i ever owned. It is even extremly safe in collisions. I walked away with a seat belt wound after an RV pulled out in front of me. Crumpled the exterior into tin foil yet left the interior untouched. Awesome, safe and dependable. If you see one, do not pass the opprotunity up! By it!