1997 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
About my Civic
By civical on 04/02/05 21:31 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

To be honest, I purchased this car from a private party with 15,000 miles on it. It was 3 years old at the time; and it had a salvage title... At first, I was concerned, but I have had no problems with this car. I am very pleased with my purchase. I paid $7,500. I go to the dealer to get my oil changed regularly, but besides that and brakes, that is all it has needed. I absolutely LOVE it.

Car of the times!
By markerickson on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

Better real world gas mileage than the the other four seat hybrid competitors: 37 in the city and 44 on the Highway. I get closer to 40/45 because I overinflate the tires slightly and I'm easy on the throttle. With Honda's reliability, its like driving for free! Great car in these $2-3 per gallon times.

CVT Transmission Problems
By Klaus21 on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

CVT transmission developed serious problems at 60,000 miles and cost $2500 to fix, at the only shop or dealer which was willing to touch it. Now, at 65000 miles, it is going out again. Very disappointing for a car bought because one of its main features was supposed to be reliablity.

The Civic
By Weasel661 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

My Civic was the second car I ever bought, and it is really fun to drive, It isn't the fastest car out there, but it sure is not the slowest. I really enjoy my Civic, and am extremely glad that I bought it!

One of the best...
By MrBusiness TT on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

There are cars that get better fuel economy (but only a handful that seat four people), and there are more powerful cars, but only the HX delivers 115 HP in 2324 lbs with fuel economy over 40 MPG. The best of efficiency and reliability. A liitle noisy due to lack of sound deadoning material (which saves weight).

Money well spent!
By Steven D.. on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I have owned 2 new civic. The first civic lasted for 221,000 miles in 10 years. My second civic has 160,000 miles on it in 7 years and does not show any signs of slowing down. They are and were worth more to me than the sticker price I paid for them. Reliability is the best feature of the civic. They are not the fanciest vehicle out there but they cover every base very well for the everyday person or the traveling type.

Great car
By puffy999 on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

The car is great. It handles well, goes as fast as I need it to go, and is great on gas. Has not had one problem since I purchased the car. There is only one difficulty I've found. It does not want to go into reverse very easily with a 5-speed manual transmission. It sometimes takes a bit of work, especially on a slight hill. Also, if you are putting in an aftermarket stereo system with subwoofers, make sure you take a day off to do it. It takes awhile to take the entire interior of the car apart. Remember to connect a couple wires in the stereo plug if you want to use the dome light!

Great car
By Zipsfb on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I got rid of my 1998 Mustang for a 1997 Civic HX for mainly fuel economy. Lots of road trips and it hasn't let me down. Easy to work on and parts are cheap for engine upgrades. Also relatively simple to install car audio components into. Overall a little slow, but making it fast is all part of the fun. Great car.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED
By Lisa1536 on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I purchased the Honda anomaly. I am shocked at what is happening to my CVT transmission. It is going out on my 6- year-old car with 78,000 miles. I bought a Honda to avoid problems like this, but unfortunately things are not going like I thought they would. Except for window regulators, I have had no problem with this car, except this $4500 one. I know this is unusual, but understand, it does happen.

Spectacular Car
By HondaLover on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

This is my first car and i love it! Its been very reliable, and i've only had minor problems.