Used 1997 Honda Civic HX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

About my Civic
By civical

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

To be honest, I purchased this car from a private party with 15,000 miles on it. It was 3 years old at the time; and it had a salvage title... At first, I was concerned, but I have had no problems with this car. I am very pleased with my purchase. I paid $7,500. I go to the dealer to get my oil changed regularly, but besides that and brakes, that is all it has needed. I absolutely LOVE it.

Favorite Features

I like the way it looks. I still get alot of compliments on it. And, there's that fuel economy! I just love it!!!!

Suggested Improvements

I put in a CD player, and I got new rims and wheels.

Car of the times!
By markerickson

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

Better real world gas mileage than the the other four seat hybrid competitors: 37 in the city and 44 on the Highway. I get closer to 40/45 because I overinflate the tires slightly and I'm easy on the throttle. With Honda's reliability, its like driving for free! Great car in these $2-3 per gallon times.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; nimble, rather quick (115 HP moving 2325lbs), clean lines, very reliable, good egonomics. Mileage is very good in the real world...not just EPA test numbers.

Suggested Improvements

A little more sound-deadoning material. Noisy compared to friends EX Civic. Otherwise nothing!

CVT Transmission Problems
By Klaus21

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

CVT transmission developed serious problems at 60,000 miles and cost $2500 to fix, at the only shop or dealer which was willing to touch it. Now, at 65000 miles, it is going out again. Very disappointing for a car bought because one of its main features was supposed to be reliablity.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Drop the CVT transmission until they become more reliable or can be fixed. Or buy them from a company which knows how to build them.

The Civic
By Weasel661

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

My Civic was the second car I ever bought, and it is really fun to drive, It isn't the fastest car out there, but it sure is not the slowest. I really enjoy my Civic, and am extremely glad that I bought it!

Favorite Features

5 Speed Transmittion, and styling interior and exterior.

Suggested Improvements

MORE HORSEPOWER! Easier to shift into reverse.

One of the best...
By MrBusiness TT

1997 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

There are cars that get better fuel economy (but only a handful that seat four people), and there are more powerful cars, but only the HX delivers 115 HP in 2324 lbs with fuel economy over 40 MPG. The best of efficiency and reliability. A liitle noisy due to lack of sound deadoning material (which saves weight).

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, light tossable handling and zippy performance in a very reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

A little quieter