Used 1997 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Awesome car
By buckeyedrifter86

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. I bought it when I was 16 and kept for 9 years and simply needed a change. This is a car for anyone, be it your first car, a project car, or a commuter car. By no means was the car fast, but it took corners like it was on rails and it was very lively; especially compared to V6/V8 Toyota/Lexus that my parents own. My only grip was the placement of the cup holders. To access them, you would have to open a flap which in turn covered the slot to the CD/tape player. Great car to blast around a track and the best part was I still got solid gas mileage regardless of how aggressively I drove. Very easy/cheap to repair, own, and soup up. Very sad that Honda doesn't make their cars like this anymore.

97' Honda Civic
By aeriellele

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my first car from a private seller for $1400 with 146K on it only 3 months ago. When I first bought it, it needed a new oil distributor and radiator. I replaced them both thinking I had gotten away with an awesome deal. Then one of my tires went flat, spent a pretty penny on that too. Shortly after, on a long trip to my favorite state park, the transmission gives out in the middle of the road when I was almost at my destination. I had invested too much money on repairing this car for it not to last and I would never buy it used again. For the short while it lasted though, gas mileage was AMAZING.

Loved the great gas mileage, and it handled pretty well. I could whip around in this car and stop on a dime easily.

Needs a better interior and transmission.

Does not live up to its name
By slowcar

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Honda to replace my Turbo Eclipse because i needed a daily driver car for my commute to Nashville. Car has been riddled with problems. 139k transmission went out, spark plugs were seized in head. Now my electrical system is malfunctioning. The headlights Dim i am throwing codes for oxygen sensor, speed sensor, and ELD. cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I will never buy a Honda again, i must have been one of the few that purchased a true lemon. i have had the car for 6 months drove it 6000 miles and have had to invest 3500 on top of the 3000 cost. Horrible design why did i get such a lemon?

gas mileage

Electrical system needs improvement. Drive train automatic transmission does not have a pan filter it is inside the transmission better reliability.

Love Honda
By syfy

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I think buying a honda you will never go wrong. I bought mine in 1998 and trade it in 2005 just because i wanted something bigger living in the north. I wish I would have kept my civic ex

I enjoyed everything about this car.This car was fun to drive and great on gas.Over the years I had this car never never had to put more than $150 for repairs. Yes i did get breaks but that normal other than that is was a wonderful car. Great Job Honda

There is nothing i can say for improvements for the car

Great first car!
By KY Civic

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I got this car for my 16th birthday three years ago with 88k miles, and nearly 30k miles later it's still running great. Had to have the axle replaced a while back, for a cost of $800, but that's really been the only problem I've had. Gas mileage is decent, but could be a little better. Acceleration can be a tad sluggish, but overall okay for a 4 cyl. Couldn't have asked for a better first car.

Sunroof controls to the left of the steering wheel, solid build quality, sporty feel, great sound system quality.

Slow acceleration especially up hills, gas mileage is not exceptional. The gas gauge isn't steady,making it hard to tell exactly how much gas you have.