1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
97' Honda Civic
By aeriellele on 03/19/13 20:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my first car from a private seller for $1400 with 146K on it only 3 months ago. When I first bought it, it needed a new oil distributor and radiator. I replaced them both thinking I had gotten away with an awesome deal. Then one of my tires went flat, spent a pretty penny on that too. Shortly after, on a long trip to my favorite state park, the transmission gives out in the middle of the road when I was almost at my destination. I had invested too much money on repairing this car for it not to last and I would never buy it used again. For the short while it lasted though, gas mileage was AMAZING.

Does not live up to its name
By slowcar on 06/25/10 14:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Honda to replace my Turbo Eclipse because i needed a daily driver car for my commute to Nashville. Car has been riddled with problems. 139k transmission went out, spark plugs were seized in head. Now my electrical system is malfunctioning. The headlights Dim i am throwing codes for oxygen sensor, speed sensor, and ELD. cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I will never buy a Honda again, i must have been one of the few that purchased a true lemon. i have had the car for 6 months drove it 6000 miles and have had to invest 3500 on top of the 3000 cost. Horrible design why did i get such a lemon?

Love Honda
By syfy on 05/18/10 17:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I think buying a honda you will never go wrong. I bought mine in 1998 and trade it in 2005 just because i wanted something bigger living in the north. I wish I would have kept my civic ex

Great first car!
By KY Civic on 03/11/10 18:57 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I got this car for my 16th birthday three years ago with 88k miles, and nearly 30k miles later it's still running great. Had to have the axle replaced a while back, for a cost of $800, but that's really been the only problem I've had. Gas mileage is decent, but could be a little better. Acceleration can be a tad sluggish, but overall okay for a 4 cyl. Couldn't have asked for a better first car.

Amazing Car!!
By DguyGp on 06/05/08 09:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I received this car in early 08' and am extremely happy with it. Have added multiple after market performance parts to it recently. But even before that it ran incredibly for having 133,000+ miles on it. Excellent suspension and reliability! Gas never an issue, but i have dropped it with the addition of vtec motor. Clutch was first thing to go, but not a problem for a car of this age. Super clean and excellent body work. Over all, this was a great choice in car. Easily modified, a car to be proud of!

Got my money's worth
By can't believe on 04/24/08 10:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '97 with a mere 7 miles on it. It now has 135+K miles and has overall been a great car. Its never had any major problems except that its almost been stolen twice. I am having the problem that (2nd time around) my drivers side window in not working and the passenger side is slow. And there is something rattling whenever I turn. It has taken me everywhere & has been extremely reliable even when I wasn't so nice to it on the road. My older brother wants this car to tool around in & my soon to be 16 y/o wants it, so they'll have to duel it out when its time to retire it for a 4 door which is going to be soon.

A good buy
By 986man on 07/08/07 21:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car late 2000 as my first car. It had about 69,000 miles and I have since run that up to almost 127,000. The cost of planned maintenance is low, tires are inexpensive, and oil changes at 4,000 mile intervals don't seem to matter. I have only had two unplanned maintenance issues: the ignition coil failed and the car shutdown. This was due to old spark plugs that I had not changed at the needed interval (my fault). Second, a CV joint cracked, although this was probably from normal wear and tear. Bottom line, very few unplanned issues over a LONG life :). Good reliabilty! The car (127 hp, auto trans) is not fast, but it handles well.

Love my Honda!
By Steve on 01/23/07 20:03 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've owned my Civic Ex since it was new & have been very pleased overall with it. It has been extremely reliable. The drive train, body & hardware have held up nicely. Only a couple of flaws: the SRS failed under extended warranty, but has failed again out of warranty--cost approx $500 to repair: Ouch! Fob doesn't work any longer--it is 10 yrs old, maybe I'm expecting too much. Had to replace driver's window regulator, also replaced master & slave cylinders for the clutch. I consider these to be normal wear & tear items on a car of this age & mileage. Will sell this car soon as I have been given a company car. I'll miss my Honda!

188,000 and time to retire
By DaveInPhoenix on 01/22/06 09:58 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 125k mi. in 2001. I immediately recognized the potential for how fun this car would be with some modifications. I put 17" wheels on (best performance mod, BTW) and a 1.5" lower suspension. This car handles like it's on rails. Every time I drive this car it's like I'm racing on Mazda Speedway. Much fun! Mileage is great with average 30mpg considering my driving habits. I grenaded the motor at 150k mi and the transmission is now in need of replacement, but I bear full responsibility for these things because of my driving style. The rest of the car is tip-top and would probably last another 200k mi. My only ongoing complaint has been effectiveness of A/C.

civic ex
By kedgman on 01/02/06 13:33 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

seems to be a well put together car. handles very well, has better than average gas mileage, a bit hard to get in and out of (due to the fact that I'm 6 ft tall).

1 2 3 4 5 next »