Used 1997 Honda Civic DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Honda convert
By HappyHondaOwner

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this civic at 10 y/o (in 2007) with 145,000 miles. I replaced a Ford coupe, at first I was skeptical about the transition to Honda nameplate. Very easy and fun to adjust to the civic, easy to love. The car was very clean, good engine (evrything original). The only repairs needed so far: a radiator replacement (just over $100), brake service overhaul (ouch: $400), alternator replacement (about $100). Routine servicing has included a new set of tires ($245), new battery ($55) and the usual periodic oil changes (at around 5k miles; $23ea), and a autotrans flush ($85). I am currently clocked at 192k (happy) miles! Cant wait to break 200k I know it will...

Favorite Features

Fun to drive (drives much better than expected, doesn't feel or act like its age: 12+ years), the fuel economy 32+ real mpg (my avg highway speed: 80). Honda resale value. Easy to maneuver size: light & agile on its feet!

Suggested Improvements

More style and features to the Spartan interior (that's because I have the barebones dx series), I guess more passing power.

My Civic is pretty G
By Thug Life

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for about nine months. I have to say it is quite premium. It looks very nice, is easy to work on, and is fun to drive. Like other reviewers, I really like the lack of power steering and the driving feel it brings. The car is easy to work on and has a lot of tuning potential. Also I get well above 35 MPG in the city.

Favorite Features

Beautiful red exterior.Tuning potential. Gas mileage. Reliability. Fun to drive with 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Not the quickest car on the road. All the interior and exterior pieces are held together with plastic clips.

My First and only
By beavetm

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I have driving my car for over seven years and have only had it in the shop for a major repair one time. I must say that this car has got me through high school, college and beyond. It is a wonderful first car for young drivers because it looks sharp and is relatively inexpensive. I will never buy another car except a Honda in the future, but I plan to keep my Civic forever.

Favorite Features

It is cheap to maintain and to fill up with gas. I have not had to put a lot of money into my civic and I am at 100,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

My car did have a problem with its oxygen sensor which was common on the 1997 model, but I did have to replace the alternator which was kind of expenseive, but that was after six years of driving it. Other than that, regular upkeep such as brakes, tires etc.

Greatness
By bcw04

wow this car is great

Favorite Features

the speed pickup

Suggested Improvements

colors

honda mixer
By j.p.

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

The only problem I had, was the radio & CD player. The CD player is a 6-CD changer in trunk. The connecting cable becomes loose at the radio & makes the CD player fade in & out. This has been repaired 4 times & is now starting to act up again. The rest of the car has been great.I realy like the fuel economy, it averages 42-HWY. 33-CTY. Also the AC will freeze even the hottest person.

Favorite Features

See review above. Also very low mant. cost

Suggested Improvements

See review above about the RADIO & CD PLAYER