1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Excellent car
By Driver on 05/14/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for 12 years and it's still performing with no problems. I've mostly kept up with the maintenance schedule, but not to the T. My goal is to drive it for 10 more years!

Still the best...
By EX-G on 01/08/09 17:48 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2001 @56K. I did 200K since then, had an accident and the car still runs with no problem. My next car will be a Honda Civic as it packs quality and reliability in one package. Go Civic!

mpg's
By jb on 04/10/08 18:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Now that gas is 3.50 my 2001 suburban that gets 11 mpg sits in the driveway I bought the 97 civic from a dealer with 178,000 on it after I week the MPG were 36/40 all the sudden it ran like crap went to the auto parts store and 65.00 later and 15 minutes it was tuned up. It runs perfect and when I checked the MPG I was shocked. 80 on the highway and city driving hard like it was a v8 90% city 10% on the highway my MPG were averaging 43 mpg (The suburban was costing me 120 a week in gas at 3.00/gal) I am so happy with it we bought my wife a 2002 civic and she loves it.

The Civic
By Mountain Man on 10/12/05 18:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I have personally owned two Hondas (my family has owned many more) and this overall was a good car while I was going to college. It was recently totaled, and as I looked to buy another Honda I was disillusioned with how much people are asking for their used Hondas. Give me a break! They are good cars, but not gold bricks on wheels! I had some problems with my car, so they are not impervious to damage and are not maitenance free. I think too much of a mystique has been built around Honda reliability to the point of being ridiculous! This is evidenced in how much people were asking for their Hondas with obvious blemishes. I ended up buying a luxury car for less.

Best car I've ever owned, period.
By NWTransplant on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I've had mine since 3,300 miles and couldn't be happier. No reliability issues whatsoever. Built like a fine Swiss watch. Follow the maintenance schedule according to the owner's manual (as I do) and the car reward you with amazingly trouble-free motoring. If deprived of my Civic, I would immediately seek another one just like it with no hesitation. It's like a premium motorcar in a smaller, less expensive package.

As Good as Any Honda
By FinalHeven on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

This car is just what you'd expect in a Honda. It gets great gas mileage and plenty of power. There have been some minor annoyances with sounds and accessories, but nothing major. When I drove my car after a very cold night the thermostat broke and caused the car to overheat, but there was no damage besides the broken piece. I had the side panels repaired after someone hit me in a parking lot and now it looks better than it did before it was hit, though the doors creak a little. Overall a really good used car and one that is well worth the $4800 I paid for it.

Best car I've ever owned
By MaeMcDonald on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent car, and a great value. I haven't had a SINGLE problem with this car. Granted, I am very good at keeping the regular maintenance schedule.

Good car
By JMCollins12 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

My cars like a child, I love my car and it loves me, it's very dependable and I've never had a problem with it, I plan on buying a new honda and hopefully I can get the same quality out of it.

Very Nice
By jofaile on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Good performance (I have bumped mine up to 141 hp), nice styling (mine is black /w pearl coat), and awesome reliabilty (haven't had a problem with it yet).

little white cloud
By mary on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

The only problem is highway noise and ride. If your tires are not new, and the car isn't aligned recently, it will shake at 75 mph. Of course we should all be driving this little white cloud, to save what is left of the environment.