1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Reliable, simple, no frills
By piercejs4 on 12/21/12 16:36 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165000 miles on it without having any major difficulties. The car has never left me stranded.

I LOVE MY HONDA!
By Jessica on 02/22/10 11:49 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for 200,000 miles and still love it. This car has been reliable and efficient all the way! And so much fun to drive! None of the extra bells and whistles on the DX means nothing breaks. Solid car all around. Also handles very well in the snow, this car has never left me in a ditch even through years of nasty winters in upstate NY. I have had numerous exhaust pipes/mufflers put in, but that has been it other than the scheduled maintenance. I love my Honda and the fact that it was built in Ohio (how many of the so-called American cars can say that anymore?). Still has another 100K left in her! My 8 rating for comfort was due to the fact that the car doesn't have AC.

dissapointed
By jg on 03/28/09 00:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

After having this car I can not understand how everyone seems to love it. I bought the car with 46,000 miles on it and now have 93,000. The AC blower motor went out, I've replaced the radiator because it was leaking, it has an oil leak, I have had to replace the muffler, then I had a problem where my break lights wouldn't turn off causing the battery to die constantly. The AC is broken AGAIN, the windshield wipers broke and now will turn on if I go over any kind of bump. There are numerous rattles and shakes. The interior is low quality. I will be so happy when I get rid of the car. I wish it was as reliable as everyone else says they are.

1997 Civic 4 Dr. Manual trans
By alex89 on 01/26/09 00:32 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car was my first one and the one I learned to drive on. Even though I bought it when it was 9 years old and had 140,000 miles on it, it worked great and held up even though I learned to drive manual on it, abused the clutch, and drove recklessly. The Honda Civic is a great car for a first time car buyer as it offers both great economy, inexpensive repairs, and a good driving experience.

Great investment, I love my car
By Elizabeth on 12/19/05 13:17 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful. I'm at 104k miles and hardly any problems so far. Just had some minor things fixed last week (scheduled maintenance, brakes, water pump, timing belt), but before that only the muffler replaced (around 60k probably) and a motor mount (around 90K). Very reliable car, still running very well. I've driven it thousands of miles on the interstate and never had to worry. I love it and plan to keep driving it until it dies.

Honda = Reliability
By Honda_Owner on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This was my first major investment and I have no regrets with my purchase. I plan to drive this until it can't go anymore. I have had to do minimal maintenance. I added a Honda spoiler, tint and fog lights and just love the look!

HARDY HONDA
By John on Long island on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

So Far I have 148,000 miles on my Civic DX. So far. The only money I spent on it are for Oil Changes, 2 sets of Brakes. and I just changed into my 3rd set of tires. (I could still get 20K more out of them. but always play it safe to make up for the lack of ABS brakes). Other than that.. CANT ASK for a BETTER CAR.

this has been a GREAT car
By earmenta on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been perfect for me. It is now going on 6 years old, and so far I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS with it, not even minor ones! And I just passed 80,000 miles! Often times I will drive this car 1,000 miles in one weekend, and it's held up just fine and I never worry about it. If you want a dependable, low-maintenance car, get a Honda. They will last forever and are a great investment.

Phat Ride
By Naveed Ashgar on 03/05/02 12:50 PM (PST)

It was fun.