1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
A decent car
By The Dude on 01/27/10 13:16 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Not a bad little car. My commute is 100 mi/day, and I bought it for commuting and hauling. I'm familiar with Hondas, so when the 5-spd failed I wasn't surprised. Gets 40-43 MPG consistently. Like the hatch and fold-down seats to haul ladders, furniture, trees, tools, wood, etc. There's a lot of cheapness inside, but not the hollow cheap you get with GM or Ford. Handling isn't great, but not terrible. I don't know why ppl race these so much when it's only a commuter at best.

Amazing Car
By guera1904 on 05/18/09 00:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car a little over two years with about 65k miles on it. I've driven this car HARD- I'm now at 110k (mostly highway miles but plenty of city driving as well) with no problems. My AC unit went out, but that's to be expected after 100k miles. I take great care of it, and the mechanics always tell me my car is in great shape mechanically. I wish it had more power on hills and a little more style, but the car is GREAT economically so I cant complain. I would recommend this car to anyone!

The perfect car!
By CivicFlyer on 04/02/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 97 Civic since 2000 and as long as I keep it tuned up it is getting 40 MPG plus. That is with an hour commute with speeds up to 85 mph. The dealership offered a free warranty tune up once a year. I just had all the bodywork done and a high end paint 2004 Subaru Garnet Black (white and red pearl on black). With a Cold Air Pack you get that piece of junk 70s Honda motorcycle sound (+mpg). I got cool wheels, chrome exhaust tip, mirror tinted back windows... chicks dig it. It looks very similar to a picture I see on the edmunds.com 1997 Honda Civic Styles page. I have run alcohol and hydrogen through it with no problems at all. Very low maintenance and very good power for an economy.

I bought it used and it's running great
By civic97 on 05/04/06 22:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I spent $4000 on my 97 civic hatchback 6 months ago when it has 155,000 miles on it. It's been 6 months and it running great and the average of 320 miles per tank of gas. It does not have any problem on it. All I did is oil change. Engine is still running strong. I just love it.

Mourning my little Civic
By I miss my little car on 08/28/05 20:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I recently totalled my little hatch. I blew a front tire going downhill on the freeway and hit a concrete retaining wall doing about 65 mph. My passenger and I walked away shaken, but unscathed. I'm so sad! That car was my little buddy! It may not have been a fancy car, but it was reliable, fun, and above all, safe. I'm buying another Civic with the money I get for my car...but I really just want the one I had. It was great!

Honda Hatchback is #1
By JohnJay on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I got this car and i have never had any problems with it. And I beat this car EVERYDAY :) Hiting 110+mph. This car gets good gas mileage and is very reliable. And there are so many aftermarkets parts for it. I am in to fixing up cars for racing and this car is idel for the tack because of it light body. And it is so easy to put in a bigger engine. :)

uscbrownie's civic
By uscbrownie on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful vehicle, I love it! Only negative comment is the paint on the red models wears out fast, but that's the color's fault, not the car!

my buddy Civic
By hans on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

It was a perfect choice for a young couple as a first car to buy. Never have been disappointed with it!

Great Car for The Price
By SSS on 03/14/02 12:46 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

This car gets fantastic mileage averaging 32 miles per gallon in city driving. The hatchback offers a lot of space considering its compact size (always easy to find parking)! Great performance without a high price tag.