1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
One Major Problem, Otherwise Great
By Bill on 04/26/05 10:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

This has been a great car. I bought it new and drive less than 10,000 miles per year. I have had a major problem with the exhaust system. I have had to have the exhaust pipe replaced twice and the muffler replaced once. I just had the pipe replaced 4000 miles ago and its beginning to rattle again. The mechanic says that short trips tend to do this to an exhaust (condensation does not have a chance to evaporate and rots the pipes) but I don't know. One minor problem is that the window fell off track and had to be replaced. Overall the car is great, and I have had no engine problems at all.

A little red dream
By Joe on 03/31/05 17:53 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

My little red civic hatchback (3 door) is a dream to own. with oil changes every 3000 miles, it has run like new since the day i got it. i haven't had any problems with it what so ever. If you are looking for a reliable and stylish used car, this is the one to go with. it won't let you down.

A Blemish on Honda's Record
By NoMoreHonda on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased a 97 Honda Civic CX hatchback with only 37,000 miles on it. Within the first week, a sensor and ignition coil both failed and the car left me sit. The engine is terribly underpowered. I spent $600 on new shocks/struts only to find that the terrible ride quality had not improved. The doors rattled and interior noise was plentiful. NO extras, not even lights in the glove box or rear hatch. There are Hyundais out there which look, feel, and run better than that car did! I sold it within a year and bought an 86 Subaru which actually feels BETTER!

lame honda
By jrehgkjfhg on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

This has been a fun and relatively reliable car but the build quality. The front rotors have been turned 5 times and replaced once and the steering wheel still shimmies. The computer has been replaced along with the oxygen sensor. The latest problem is an intermittant engine knock. It occurs sometimeswhen cold and sometimes when fully warmed up. It's not very confidence inspiring and I'm trading it in because of it for a Nissan.

EXCELLENT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Matthew N. on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 67000 miles on it for 45000, and i really got my money's worth. I loved it to death. I got in a major wreck at 72000 miles. I only drove 5000 and can testify that it was yet the greatest car i ever owned. It is even extremly safe in collisions. I walked away with a seat belt wound after an RV pulled out in front of me. Crumpled the exterior into tin foil yet left the interior untouched. Awesome, safe and dependable. If you see one, do not pass the opprotunity up! By it!

Basic fun
By wrb on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

bought base model ( lightest, nothing power but brakes, no options ) for 10800.- Put AEM airintake for better breathing and 10 more hp, sport springs and -shocks ( stiffer and 1.5" lower ), front and rear -swaybars, front strut towerbar, 15" alloys w. 195/55-15 -V rated performance tires, all for much improved handling, race breakpads in front to compensate for weak rear drumbrakes . Total cost for improvements : $ 3000.- Overall result: a small ,light, fast, good handling, cheap car with 40 mls. plus mileage, very reliable and lots of fun !! A 9.5 overall for sure.

Simply the best in its class
By superBBQ on 09/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

The Honda Civic is simply the best car in its class. Super reliable, low maintenance, awesome gas milages and very stylish look. You can do so much to upgrade this baby!

Great car Great value
By Frost on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

An overall great car. It is somewhat expensive for a compact car, but it makes up for it with reliability.