Used 1997 Honda Civic CX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

A Blemish on Honda's Record
By NoMoreHonda

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased a 97 Honda Civic CX hatchback with only 37,000 miles on it. Within the first week, a sensor and ignition coil both failed and the car left me sit. The engine is terribly underpowered. I spent $600 on new shocks/struts only to find that the terrible ride quality had not improved. The doors rattled and interior noise was plentiful. NO extras, not even lights in the glove box or rear hatch. There are Hyundais out there which look, feel, and run better than that car did! I sold it within a year and bought an 86 Subaru which actually feels BETTER!

One Major Problem, Otherwise Great
By Bill

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

This has been a great car. I bought it new and drive less than 10,000 miles per year. I have had a major problem with the exhaust system. I have had to have the exhaust pipe replaced twice and the muffler replaced once. I just had the pipe replaced 4000 miles ago and its beginning to rattle again. The mechanic says that short trips tend to do this to an exhaust (condensation does not have a chance to evaporate and rots the pipes) but I don't know. One minor problem is that the window fell off track and had to be replaced. Overall the car is great, and I have had no engine problems at all.

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission

Suggested Improvements

The windows come off track easily.

A little red dream
By Joe

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

My little red civic hatchback (3 door) is a dream to own. with oil changes every 3000 miles, it has run like new since the day i got it. i haven't had any problems with it what so ever. If you are looking for a reliable and stylish used car, this is the one to go with. it won't let you down.

Favorite Features

the room to customize is endless. with a low starting hp, you can do the smallest mod, and get maximum results. stylish when stock, this vehicle explodes with beauty. this is the perfect car for any tuner or every day driver.

Suggested Improvements

the only improvement you may need to make is hourse power. this is not at all necessary if you aren't interested in high performance, but if you are, this is where to start your mods.

EXCELLENT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Matthew N.

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 67000 miles on it for 45000, and i really got my money's worth. I loved it to death. I got in a major wreck at 72000 miles. I only drove 5000 and can testify that it was yet the greatest car i ever owned. It is even extremly safe in collisions. I walked away with a seat belt wound after an RV pulled out in front of me. Crumpled the exterior into tin foil yet left the interior untouched. Awesome, safe and dependable. If you see one, do not pass the opprotunity up! By it!

Favorite Features

interior built around the center of thwe car, everything located in easy reach. comfortable, fuel efficient compact, very safe in car wrecks

Suggested Improvements

none, I just didn't like the color.

lame honda
By jrehgkjfhg

1997 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

This has been a fun and relatively reliable car but the build quality. The front rotors have been turned 5 times and replaced once and the steering wheel still shimmies. The computer has been replaced along with the oxygen sensor. The latest problem is an intermittant engine knock. It occurs sometimeswhen cold and sometimes when fully warmed up. It's not very confidence inspiring and I'm trading it in because of it for a Nissan.

Favorite Features

Good handling, mileage

Suggested Improvements

Brake rotors that don't warp in 2000 miles, an engine that doesn't knock, better computer, less noise from tranny