Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Awesome car
By buckeyedrifter86

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. I bought it when I was 16 and kept for 9 years and simply needed a change. This is a car for anyone, be it your first car, a project car, or a commuter car. By no means was the car fast, but it took corners like it was on rails and it was very lively; especially compared to V6/V8 Toyota/Lexus that my parents own. My only grip was the placement of the cup holders. To access them, you would have to open a flap which in turn covered the slot to the CD/tape player. Great car to blast around a track and the best part was I still got solid gas mileage regardless of how aggressively I drove. Very easy/cheap to repair, own, and soup up. Very sad that Honda doesn't make their cars like this anymore.

Great Car
By A honda owner

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost 20 years ago and I can honestly say it was one of the best purchases I made. It has more than 150,000 miles on it and I changed the tires, battery, brakes, timing belt and front CV joints, but other than that had no major issues. Now my son, who learned to drive with this car, drives this car to and from college over an hours drive away, but so far it is still holding up well.

97' Honda Civic
By aeriellele

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my first car from a private seller for $1400 with 146K on it only 3 months ago. When I first bought it, it needed a new oil distributor and radiator. I replaced them both thinking I had gotten away with an awesome deal. Then one of my tires went flat, spent a pretty penny on that too. Shortly after, on a long trip to my favorite state park, the transmission gives out in the middle of the road when I was almost at my destination. I had invested too much money on repairing this car for it not to last and I would never buy it used again. For the short while it lasted though, gas mileage was AMAZING.

Loved the great gas mileage, and it handled pretty well. I could whip around in this car and stop on a dime easily.

Needs a better interior and transmission.

Reliable, simple, no frills
By piercejs4

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165000 miles on it without having any major difficulties.
The car has never left me stranded.

No frills = nothing to break

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the water pump and timing belt are a pain in the neck to change. The Idle Air Control Valve went out on my car, as did the Throttle Positioning Sensor. The input shaft bearing went out in the transmission, which I rebuilt at about 160K.

Does not live up to its name
By slowcar

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Honda to replace my Turbo Eclipse because i needed a daily driver car for my commute to Nashville. Car has been riddled with problems. 139k transmission went out, spark plugs were seized in head. Now my electrical system is malfunctioning. The headlights Dim i am throwing codes for oxygen sensor, speed sensor, and ELD. cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I will never buy a Honda again, i must have been one of the few that purchased a true lemon. i have had the car for 6 months drove it 6000 miles and have had to invest 3500 on top of the 3000 cost. Horrible design why did i get such a lemon?

gas mileage

Electrical system needs improvement. Drive train automatic transmission does not have a pan filter it is inside the transmission better reliability.