Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

97' Honda Civic
By aeriellele

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my first car from a private seller for $1400 with 146K on it only 3 months ago. When I first bought it, it needed a new oil distributor and radiator. I replaced them both thinking I had gotten away with an awesome deal. Then one of my tires went flat, spent a pretty penny on that too. Shortly after, on a long trip to my favorite state park, the transmission gives out in the middle of the road when I was almost at my destination. I had invested too much money on repairing this car for it not to last and I would never buy it used again. For the short while it lasted though, gas mileage was AMAZING.

Loved the great gas mileage, and it handled pretty well. I could whip around in this car and stop on a dime easily.

Needs a better interior and transmission.

Reliable, simple, no frills
By piercejs4

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165000 miles on it without having any major difficulties. The car has never left me stranded.

No frills = nothing to break

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the water pump and timing belt are a pain in the neck to change. The Idle Air Control Valve went out on my car, as did the Throttle Positioning Sensor. The input shaft bearing went out in the transmission, which I rebuilt at about 160K.

Does not live up to its name
By slowcar

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Honda to replace my Turbo Eclipse because i needed a daily driver car for my commute to Nashville. Car has been riddled with problems. 139k transmission went out, spark plugs were seized in head. Now my electrical system is malfunctioning. The headlights Dim i am throwing codes for oxygen sensor, speed sensor, and ELD. cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I will never buy a Honda again, i must have been one of the few that purchased a true lemon. i have had the car for 6 months drove it 6000 miles and have had to invest 3500 on top of the 3000 cost. Horrible design why did i get such a lemon?

gas mileage

Electrical system needs improvement. Drive train automatic transmission does not have a pan filter it is inside the transmission better reliability.

Love Honda
By syfy

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I think buying a honda you will never go wrong. I bought mine in 1998 and trade it in 2005 just because i wanted something bigger living in the north. I wish I would have kept my civic ex

I enjoyed everything about this car.This car was fun to drive and great on gas.Over the years I had this car never never had to put more than $150 for repairs. Yes i did get breaks but that normal other than that is was a wonderful car. Great Job Honda

There is nothing i can say for improvements for the car

Great commuter car
By theron

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Besides looking like grandma's car, this is one dependable vehicle. No major problems in 13 years - new brakes, rotors, tires, 3 new mufflers, and 1 new tailpipe. My friends beg me to sell it to them for commuting. Avg 27 mpg. No sports car but re-li-a-ble. I've had 2 Chrysler vans since 03 for my wife and am about to find a 3rd. Switching to a Honda van due to the reliability of this car and the junk from Chrysler!

reliability quality

exhaust was the only area of poor reliability/quality - replaced it 3 times. but i did that myself and I'm no mechanic.