Used 1996 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The Best in its class.
By Silvercivic

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Over the past 6 months I had this car it drives nearly flawless in every way. Of course since it was used I had to do some minor repairs(New battery, realign rear bumper, swap lightbulbs) To this day I am still very pleased with this car.

Favorite Features

Small and compact yet enough room to fit 4 grown adults. Gas mileage a big PLUS.

Suggested Improvements

D16Y7 engine, which makes the car weak. Needs to be replaced by the B16A SiR II Engine at 170 HP. Also interior should be wood trim or metal... not crappy plastic.

96 Civic EX
By jmr4152

1996 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

CV joints going bad, muffler rusted out at the axle (seems very common on civics), clutch is wearing out(prior driver possibly). My biggest complaint is that it has hesitated for almost a year with no check engine light. It's been in the shop numerous times with no luck. Not very pleased with the "Honda quality". Will be buying Toyota next round.

1996 Civic HX
By razzy

1996 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I drove this vehicle for 33,000 miles without any complaints. Great gas mileage, sporty feel, and fun to drive. I recomment the civic to anyone on a budget.

Favorite Features

looks and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

More creature comforts

It runs so well, that I may be bored!
By martin189

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my EX new in '96 and have had no problems -- just usual maintenance -- new battery, oil change and brakes. I just assume that this car is going to run and it does. Now that I'm 50, I feel like I need something more expensive and a bit more comportable --but it's really hard to give this car up. I've even detailed it last year and it looks amazing -- the black paint has held up really well. I keep looking at Mercedes, but when I hear the problems that my friends have with theirs -- I realize that I got a great deal by buying this car. It still looks and acts new.

Favorite Features

Body styling and excellent paint job. -- cleans up really well. Love the fold down rear seat. This car has carried everything from grass sod to furniture...and always cleans up with no a lot of effort

Suggested Improvements

Wished it were a bit less noisy on long drives. New and better tires really helped.

Great car
By Aquafina

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Great car. Gets great mileage even when I beat on it. Took out the rear interior and ran a 17.4 on bald street tires at Bristol Motor Dragway. Paint was crappy from previous owner but it was repainted after hail damage and looks great.

Favorite Features

Weak but fun engine. The hatch.

Suggested Improvements

A little more padding on the seats. 2- 3 more horsepower. Cupholders with a lid that will always stay down.