Used 1996 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Honda envy
By hon-da-man

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Got this one with 60k on it and now has 144k. Gas mileage can go up to 46 mpg if I really baby it, but gets 40 mpg now. No problems, except self induced ones. Wish I had gotten one with power windows and doorlocks, just for convenience.

10 years still going strong
By Smoke_Jaguar4

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new. Since then I've driven it cross-country 3 times (fully loaded with stuff), through every possible climate and condition you can imagine. 10 years, 115K miles, it has never let me down once. All it needs is oil changes every 3K and regular service every 15K miles. Avg 38 MPG, quick around town, can haul more than some SUVs. The only downside is interior noise is a bit loud and the seats are not the most supportive. Only now am I seriously considering buying an other car (Honda Fit?) since this one has performed admirably.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, spacious cargo hold, ultra-reliable, agile (but not sporty), easy on the wallet

Suggested Improvements

Needs tachometer, supportive seats, center armrest. Rear seats are tight for most people and can barely accomodate a childseat. Reduce road noise

Good Reliable Car
By Tim J

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Great car - has been pretty reliable, now at 135,000 miles. Have had to fix: Exhaust Manifold Muffler (both rust) Distributor/Rotor (wouldn't start) I would characterize the repairs to this car as minor, vs other cars I have owned or a similar age. From my own experience/other reviews it appears that exhaust rust is the only real fleet-wide problem with the 1996 civic. Fortunately these aren't terribly expensive to replace, vs the repairs I have had on other older cars.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better rust protection for exhaust system

Owned Dozens, A SAVER and a KEEPER
By JeremyW

1996 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I've owned dozens of cars. With 40+ miles to the gallon and perfect reliability for almost 40,000 of the roughest miles an avid driver can put on it. THIS CAR IS A KEEPER!! If you purchase this car for a kid, the commute, or the environment, I am willing to bet you will never regret the decision. Bought for 5,500. 35+ thousand miles later sold for 4,500 WOW.

Favorite Features

RELIABILIRY reliability reliability. I hate going to the mechanic more than the dentist. This car made us rare aquaintences at best. THAT and the manual tranny in this car cant be beat. BEST manual transmission I have ever driven

Suggested Improvements

Dosent have a lot of power but if your looking in that in a 4cyl civic your ignorant of physics. Hard to get 4-5 people in and out but again in a 2 door civic.... I dunno. Its just about the perfect get around car

Still going
By D

1996 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Just hit the 10 year b-day of my 96 ex civic. I have 150,000 miles on it and it still runs beautifully.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY and build quality. Fuel economy - I get 30+mpg on every tank.

Suggested Improvements

none.. perfect economy commuter car