Used 1996 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Value
By kerrym1

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a few years ago and with regular maintenance, it has been a charm! I have loved having this car for the gas mileage, of which averaged 40mpg (lots of highway driving). I now have 322k miles on it and it seems to have past its prime and the engine is going. It has served me well and will definitely be buying another!!

Gas Mileage, the manual always felt pretty zippy to me, easy to work on.

Another Civic mistake
By Elizabeth

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Civic both bought from private sellers. First one: 2000 EX coupe, had a mechanic look at it and it just wound up being a piece of crap, not well cared for like I thought and was told. Sold it. This one was 1 owner, always maintained from day 1, all paperwork so I thought it was okay. Stupid me! Costly repairs on things and I still have costly repairs to do. This $3300 is now almost a $5K car! Civics are notorious for window issues, A/C not great, and I find it uncomfortable to get in/out of and sit for a long time in those thin seats. I bought it w/138K miles and I now have 140K. Can't afford to get rid of it now. Hondas are so overpriced and overrated!

Like the looks

I don't know what a new or new one is like but I bet it's greatly improved from the old models.

96 civic
By nick

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a 2nd owner at 67,000 miles in 1999. As of 2008, It's at 161,000. It's only not started once because of a dead battery. I have changed oil 3500 - 4000 miles, timing belt/water pump at 90k. The power windows have been on and off because of a corroded connection between the drivers door and the body of car. Radio sometimes gets loud probably because of dirty volume knob assembly. I have an exhaust leak that I smell when I start the car. In summary, 9 years excellence service with constant 30+ mpg at a reasonable price.

12 years and still going strong
By mark machula

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I had this car given to me as a gift it had 28,000 kms at the time I have had it 3 years and 50,000 kms later and all I have done is change the oil every 5,000 kms new front brakes and tires. I am impressed it never breaks down. It is fun to drive and it has a lot of pep for an engine and car of it's size I am also impressed with its safety. I was in an accident last year with it. I hit another car head on driving 80 kmh and did not even suffer any injuries and my car was fixable. After that experience I feel very safe in my car. Over all I think Honda has built a great quality vehicle with this car.

Fuel economy, decent factory stereo, quick acceleration, short grippy brakes, Nice handling.

it could be more quiet on the highway,and a few more base options,tachometer would be nice

The most reliable car
By Steve

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Car was originally bought as an R-title w 160K. It has been in the family for 5 yrs,now it has 240K. Still gets 33/40 mpg. Haven't changed the timing belt yet. Only changing the oil and an occasional bulb.

Gas Mileage.

CD player should be somewhere else.