1996 Honda Civic Sedan 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

EX Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Will keep it for life!
By monkeybomb on 01/21/15 09:40 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 civic 3 years ago. I've put the work into it that it needed replacing cv axles, ball joints, control arms etc... I attribute these things to previous owner errors. This has been the best car! It's small but not cramped. I have 3 kids and we all fit. Mine is a 5 speed standard transmission and I routinely get 37-39 combined MPG! I HAVE ~240,000 miles on this car with the original transmission, clutch and engine. She's still running strong and is well worth every penny I have into her. If taken care of properly, this car will go forever! Buying seals from auto parts stores will not fix any leakage problem; buy direct from dealer.

Great car!
By km on 04/24/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic in 1999 with 37,000 miles on it. We're in 2009 and it has 180,000 miles now. I have had no issues with it whatsoever, just the normal maintenance. It has been so reliable and dependable. Gas mileage is great! Honda knows what they're doing!

Forget the Jones'
By Fronteeer on 02/27/09 05:24 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Why did they stop making cars like this? Underpowered fuel-sippers with lots of passenger and trunk space. Who cares if you can't take off fast? I'm getting 38mpg. This Honda is 13 years old and it's better than any car I've ever owned. Sure, it's got a few dings and scratches, and there's a little surface rust on the fenders, but that's to be expected when salt is sprayed on the roads all winter. The transmission's still tight and smooth, everything works, and it's the most reliable vehicle in my driveway. On a few occasions this winter it's been used to jumpstart two much newer vehicles on really cold mornings. This is definitely not my last Honda. It has 125,000 miles on it and runs great.

You could find a better car, Period!
By jack on 12/04/08 12:32 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for about ten years. It has been from New england to Florida a few times. It's been so reliable that I would recommend this car to anyone who wants very little headaches and does not obsess over transportation. In ten years of ownership It's been in the shop for CV joints, for an electrical malfunction in gas tank and for power window regulators, all 3+ years apart! What more can you say about that? Oh yes, tires and brakes are inexpensive. The car is so simple to work on that you can 80% of the repairs yourself, if handy. Car has 163K on it, bought it with 30K. I've waxed the car, so rust is just now starting on fender.

I might be a Honda man now, for life
By fronteeer on 10/14/08 03:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a '96 Civic EX for commuting back and forth to and from work. For a 13-year-old car, I was surprised to find that all of the little extras (power windows, A/C, remote trunk/gas door releases, cruise, etc.) still worked great. I took the car to a friend's place (he's a mechanic by trade) and put it up on his hoist, and for a car that's been subjected to Canadian winters all its life, there's surprisingly little rust. I had a few things to change, such as the gas tank, fuel lines, a shifter assembly bushing and a CV boot, but these are all fairly common things for a car this age in Canada to need. It has no guts whatsoever, but it's comfortable, cheap on gas and looks great

Great Reliable Car
By John on 08/08/07 05:37 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I'm the second owner of this car. It has 180K miles on it and is running perfectly. Great gas milage with 30/35 city/highway and a very comfortable commuter vehicle. It is easy to maintain (oil changes, filters, fluids, plugs, etc.) and is very reliable.

It runs so well, that I may be bored!
By martin189 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my EX new in '96 and have had no problems -- just usual maintenance -- new battery, oil change and brakes. I just assume that this car is going to run and it does. Now that I'm 50, I feel like I need something more expensive and a bit more comportable --but it's really hard to give this car up. I've even detailed it last year and it looks amazing -- the black paint has held up really well. I keep looking at Mercedes, but when I hear the problems that my friends have with theirs -- I realize that I got a great deal by buying this car. It still looks and acts new.

The silver lining
By lsw on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Chevy Prizm was recently totaled and I found a 1996 Civic EX to 'replace' it. Turns out this car is a vast, vast improvement, and it's the silver lining to having a wreck and having to go car shopping on short notice. Even though it's two years older than my other car, it runs much better, is tighter, and more comfortable for me (at 6'4") to drive. Also after looking at some more recent Civics, I like this older body style better - I think they're getting more generic at time progreses.

happy honda civic ex owner
By r b on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

i bought this car brand new in '96. it has been a joy to drive and very reliable transportation mode. through aaa i landed the best pricing with their no haggles pricing agreement. i've kept consistent with the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual and haven't had a single extra- ordinary problem with this car. what a wonderful car.

its all talk. you gotta represent.
By boohiss for civics on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

i bought a honda becuase i thought i could reley on it to provide me with good transproation. i bought the highest grade model, and things just started going wroge within two weeks of my car off the lot. my electircal system had to be completely rewired, my head had to be replaced, and my transmission was less than satisfactory. after two montehs with this car, i left my civic crap for a new cavalier, which has been much more reliable, and saved me about 3000 dollars, even after the hondas bills.