1996 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Value
By kerrym1 on 12/22/10 17:43 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a few years ago and with regular maintenance, it has been a charm! I have loved having this car for the gas mileage, of which averaged 40mpg (lots of highway driving). I now have 322k miles on it and it seems to have past its prime and the engine is going. It has served me well and will definitely be buying another!!

Honda's Best
By cvilla on 10/16/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I bought it in 1999 used with over 60K miles. People laughed and thought I got ripped off! $8000 for a car with high mileage then. The years of gas at $3.75 came and those same people could not afford to go to the beach like I could because their BIG trucks used too much gas. Now 2009, the car has 221000 miles and still shows no signs of quitting. I didn't do all those scheduled maintenance. I haven't even changed the timing chain/belt. Just oil/ air filters, breaks and fluids! Oh and I had to replace CV boots. That's all. BEST car I've owned, and I've owned plenty. Audi,BMW, Mustang, Chevys, VW, Renault, Bronco etc. Honda could take a lesson from its past and redo it!

Great car!
By km on 04/24/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic in 1999 with 37,000 miles on it. We're in 2009 and it has 180,000 miles now. I have had no issues with it whatsoever, just the normal maintenance. It has been so reliable and dependable. Gas mileage is great! Honda knows what they're doing!

40 mpg
By BPM, Maine on 03/14/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great point A to B car, excellent for city driving. The 96-00 Civics are some of the best used cars around. Inexpensive to own (purchase price, Ins. cost, repair, fuel etc.). ***The SOHC engines can be prone to connecting rod bearing failure at high mileage.***

Forget the Jones'
By Fronteeer on 02/27/09 05:24 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Why did they stop making cars like this? Underpowered fuel-sippers with lots of passenger and trunk space. Who cares if you can't take off fast? I'm getting 38mpg. This Honda is 13 years old and it's better than any car I've ever owned. Sure, it's got a few dings and scratches, and there's a little surface rust on the fenders, but that's to be expected when salt is sprayed on the roads all winter. The transmission's still tight and smooth, everything works, and it's the most reliable vehicle in my driveway. On a few occasions this winter it's been used to jumpstart two much newer vehicles on really cold mornings. This is definitely not my last Honda. It has 125,000 miles on it and runs great.

You could find a better car, Period!
By jack on 12/04/08 12:32 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for about ten years. It has been from New england to Florida a few times. It's been so reliable that I would recommend this car to anyone who wants very little headaches and does not obsess over transportation. In ten years of ownership It's been in the shop for CV joints, for an electrical malfunction in gas tank and for power window regulators, all 3+ years apart! What more can you say about that? Oh yes, tires and brakes are inexpensive. The car is so simple to work on that you can 80% of the repairs yourself, if handy. Car has 163K on it, bought it with 30K. I've waxed the car, so rust is just now starting on fender.

I might be a Honda man now, for life
By fronteeer on 10/14/08 03:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a '96 Civic EX for commuting back and forth to and from work. For a 13-year-old car, I was surprised to find that all of the little extras (power windows, A/C, remote trunk/gas door releases, cruise, etc.) still worked great. I took the car to a friend's place (he's a mechanic by trade) and put it up on his hoist, and for a car that's been subjected to Canadian winters all its life, there's surprisingly little rust. I had a few things to change, such as the gas tank, fuel lines, a shifter assembly bushing and a CV boot, but these are all fairly common things for a car this age in Canada to need. It has no guts whatsoever, but it's comfortable, cheap on gas and looks great

Another Civic mistake
By Elizabeth on 07/20/08 09:08 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Civic both bought from private sellers. First one: 2000 EX coupe, had a mechanic look at it and it just wound up being a piece of crap, not well cared for like I thought and was told. Sold it. This one was 1 owner, always maintained from day 1, all paperwork so I thought it was okay. Stupid me! Costly repairs on things and I still have costly repairs to do. This $3300 is now almost a $5K car! Civics are notorious for window issues, A/C not great, and I find it uncomfortable to get in/out of and sit for a long time in those thin seats. I bought it w/138K miles and I now have 140K. Can't afford to get rid of it now. Hondas are so overpriced and overrated!

96 civic
By nick on 05/07/08 08:16 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a 2nd owner at 67,000 miles in 1999. As of 2008, It's at 161,000. It's only not started once because of a dead battery. I have changed oil 3500 - 4000 miles, timing belt/water pump at 90k. The power windows have been on and off because of a corroded connection between the drivers door and the body of car. Radio sometimes gets loud probably because of dirty volume knob assembly. I have an exhaust leak that I smell when I start the car. In summary, 9 years excellence service with constant 30+ mpg at a reasonable price.

12 years and still going strong
By mark machula on 03/31/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I had this car given to me as a gift it had 28,000 kms at the time I have had it 3 years and 50,000 kms later and all I have done is change the oil every 5,000 kms new front brakes and tires. I am impressed it never breaks down. It is fun to drive and it has a lot of pep for an engine and car of it's size I am also impressed with its safety. I was in an accident last year with it. I hit another car head on driving 80 kmh and did not even suffer any injuries and my car was fixable. After that experience I feel very safe in my car. Over all I think Honda has built a great quality vehicle with this car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »