Used 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Champion
By dago travers

1996 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

I'm 66 and this car has been the most cost effective vehicle I've owned including motorcycles and as old as it is now I still consider it a beautiful frog and believe it will last as long as I. Thanks Honda

Favorite Features

mpg utility and excellent ergonomics for a person my size

Suggested Improvements

for Honda to start building this car again

Great Lil Car
By eb_thatsme

1996 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Im in the military, and im a single mother. I got this car during the winter and was surprised as to how well it did on the roads in Italy [im in Pisa]. My daughters car seat actually fits quite well behind me while i drive and i drive comfortably.. [mind u im also 5'6] Its a great lil work car, i get awesome gas mileage [i only put about euro 40 in every two weeks]. This is just an awesome lil car. I do have dash problems, as in the display doesn't work, but all in all, great lil car. And amazing space!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, space... reliability

Suggested Improvements

power, just give us some power.. something!

Good reliable car
By bnguy15

1996 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I have the midori green hatchback dx model. The car isn't fast by any means but it's really reliable. I like the storage capacity of the hatchback. It's a simple car and because of that simple maintenance will keep this car running for a very long time.

Favorite Features

Folding seats, storage room, outside look, simplicity.

Suggested Improvements

It's slow, but it gets the job done. If you want, there's plenty of engine swap options. I like mine stock which has intrinsic value.

10 years still going strong
By Smoke_Jaguar4

1996 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new. Since then I've driven it cross-country 3 times (fully loaded with stuff), through every possible climate and condition you can imagine. 10 years, 115K miles, it has never let me down once. All it needs is oil changes every 3K and regular service every 15K miles. Avg 38 MPG, quick around town, can haul more than some SUVs. The only downside is interior noise is a bit loud and the seats are not the most supportive. Only now am I seriously considering buying an other car (Honda Fit?) since this one has performed admirably.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, spacious cargo hold, ultra-reliable, agile (but not sporty), easy on the wallet

Suggested Improvements

Needs tachometer, supportive seats, center armrest. Rear seats are tight for most people and can barely accomodate a childseat. Reduce road noise

Great car
By Aquafina

1996 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Great car. Gets great mileage even when I beat on it. Took out the rear interior and ran a 17.4 on bald street tires at Bristol Motor Dragway. Paint was crappy from previous owner but it was repainted after hail damage and looks great.

Favorite Features

Weak but fun engine. The hatch.

Suggested Improvements

A little more padding on the seats. 2- 3 more horsepower. Cupholders with a lid that will always stay down.