Used 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

96 Civic EX just won't die!
By tareseb1

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my '96 Civic EX in '04 with 60k miles on it, and have been driving it ever since. It now has 160k miles and they have been really hard miles. I will admit that I was young when I bought it and did not take care of this car the way I should have. 10k miles between oil changes, and really no regular maintenance. I have horses and I use this little car like a truck. It has never let me down. Besides tires, the only things I have had to replace on it are tie rods, belts and a starter. I really can't believe I didn't kill this car!

1996 Honda Civic EX coupe
By nickaxisa

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I've had my 96 Honda Civic EX coupe for about a year now, it came out of the abusive driving conditions of NYC, and i can't believe how reliable this car is! I bought my civic from a small dealership for only $2200 with 150k and I don't regret buying this car at all. I'm a college student and I commute everyday with this car. I never had any mechanical problems with the car until I had my friend who is a mechanic look at it. He did find some problems, like it was leaking brake fluid and oil and the desperately needed a tune up, an oil change and new brake pads. Even when the car needed all that work it running and driving fine, but now that i fixed all that the car is running beautifully.

I added a lot of aftermarket parts to my civic so i don't really know a lot of the stock features of this car, but I love the leg room in the front and back. I'm always hanging out with friends and my car is always packed, but the leg is the perfect amount compared to my mom's 06 Nissan Sentra. I also love the gas mileage this car has, a full tank in this car gives you endless possiblities.

I can't think of anything that needs to be improved on tyhis car at all, it's perfect!!!

My 1996 Honda Civic Ex "Baby"
By jenny30

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

All i can say is i have never been happier than owning my Honda Cv. I'm a proud owner of it. I got it when it had 90,000 miles purchased as is 3500 no warranty from a friend. My baby is still going strong. It's been in two wrecks not my fault. And it's still going. I fixed it though got it a new body kit. It needs a newer one. I really have nothing bad to say about this, i maintain my vehicle very well. Happy to say i've treated is as i would want to be treated and it's giving me favor in return. I've fixed minor things like water pump that would go bad for a 96 or air filter stuff like that. Nothing major. My baby is now at over 200,000 miles and still going strong. Long live HONDA!

The body shape the way it runs and it's so compact and affordable. GREAT ON GAS! GREAT ON GAS!

Nothing really

Amazing Car
By DavidAndreww

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my little honda civic in 2002 as a sophomore in high school. I bought it with 145,000 miles. Currently it's at 214,000. It still runs like a champ after the 7 years and 70,000 miles I've put on it. Unfortunately I have to sell it because it failed inspection, but only for cosmetic reasons. Didn't take care of a bit of rust in one of the wheel wells and it's taken its toll, and at this point it is smarter to get a new car than drop $2000 to repair. Also would like to mention that I've been in 3 fender benders with this thing, and I've had to do nothing to it. Just routine oil changes. Buy a Honda.

Reliability and gas mileage. 350 miles a tank.

2nd Owner
By Austen

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as my go-getter in Feb 08. The previous owner had neglected this car so I got it at a steal knowing that I would have some work to be done. Whew, $2000 mechanical bill and a $1200 paint job later this thing is awesome. I added some new wheels, projector headlights, LED taillights, and a window tint and now I get endless comments on how good it looks. The stock engine is peppy and seems reliable now that maintenance is up to par. No matter how you drive, this thing never gets less than 30 mpg either.

Great MPG even when the wheels are switched to 17" hoops. Very economical, parts easy to come by and relatively cheap. Comfortable interior. High fun-to-drive quotient. Handles better than the car's stature implies.

Noisy at highway speeds (even with stock wheels/tires). Slider-type climate controls gotta go (they did on later models). Body seams need more sealer, found water leaks to the trunk on my car (I understand many 96s had this problem but were later corrected).