1996 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
96 Civic EX just won't die!
By tareseb1 on 07/31/12 15:56 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my '96 Civic EX in '04 with 60k miles on it, and have been driving it ever since. It now has 160k miles and they have been really hard miles. I will admit that I was young when I bought it and did not take care of this car the way I should have. 10k miles between oil changes, and really no regular maintenance. I have horses and I use this little car like a truck. It has never let me down. Besides tires, the only things I have had to replace on it are tie rods, belts and a starter. I really can't believe I didn't kill this car!

I miss my Civic!
By mdries on 06/08/12 10:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This was my first car in high school, and I loved it. I now drive a 2001 Acura CL, which has a LOT more cool features than the Civic; however, I often find myself missing the Civic. It did not have any modern features like power locks, power windows, or a CD player. However, the car ran unbelievably well considering it was 15 years old and had about 220,000 miles when we sold it! If I did not switch to my sister's Acura when she bought a company car, I would probably still be driving the Civic today. Also the MPGs on this car are phenomenal! If you accelerate conservatively you can get 35-40 MPG easily.

1996 Honda Civic EX coupe
By nickaxisa on 09/07/11 11:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I've had my 96 Honda Civic EX coupe for about a year now, it came out of the abusive driving conditions of NYC, and i can't believe how reliable this car is! I bought my civic from a small dealership for only $2200 with 150k and I don't regret buying this car at all. I'm a college student and I commute everyday with this car. I never had any mechanical problems with the car until I had my friend who is a mechanic look at it. He did find some problems, like it was leaking brake fluid and oil and the desperately needed a tune up, an oil change and new brake pads. Even when the car needed all that work it running and driving fine, but now that i fixed all that the car is running beautifully.

My 1996 Honda Civic Ex "Baby"
By jenny30 on 04/26/11 17:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

All i can say is i have never been happier than owning my Honda Cv. I'm a proud owner of it. I got it when it had 90,000 miles purchased as is 3500 no warranty from a friend. My baby is still going strong. It's been in two wrecks not my fault. And it's still going. I fixed it though got it a new body kit. It needs a newer one. I really have nothing bad to say about this, i maintain my vehicle very well. Happy to say i've treated is as i would want to be treated and it's giving me favor in return. I've fixed minor things like water pump that would go bad for a 96 or air filter stuff like that. Nothing major. My baby is now at over 200,000 miles and still going strong. Long live HONDA!

Best Car I have owned
By sfluver007 on 03/22/11 20:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I bought my '96 Civic about a year ago, used, after not owning a car for 7yrs. I live in San Francisco. Everyone thought I was out of my mind because the car had 257K miles on it.....I did take it to a mechanic and he told me that he has Hondas coming in with well over 300K. So I bought it......it now has almost 300K on it and shows no signs of slowing down. It's still very quick, solid, reliable and most of all, a damned lot of fun to drive. Oh, and I have spent less than $400 bucks in maintence and repairs. I will buy another Honda before anything else....ever!

Amazing Car
By DavidAndreww on 05/04/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my little honda civic in 2002 as a sophomore in high school. I bought it with 145,000 miles. Currently it's at 214,000. It still runs like a champ after the 7 years and 70,000 miles I've put on it. Unfortunately I have to sell it because it failed inspection, but only for cosmetic reasons. Didn't take care of a bit of rust in one of the wheel wells and it's taken its toll, and at this point it is smarter to get a new car than drop $2000 to repair. Also would like to mention that I've been in 3 fender benders with this thing, and I've had to do nothing to it. Just routine oil changes. Buy a Honda.

I Love This CAR!
By dalaeaka on 09/20/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this from a friend with 80,000 miles on it in 2004, before gas prices went up. Since then, all I've done is do the recommended timing belt/water pump change @ 110,000 mi (they looked brand new. Otherwise, I just drive it (about 20,000 miles per year. In the summer, with the air off, I can get up to 42 mpg. With the air on, I get 36 mpg! I carry two kayaks on top and get 34 mpg! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, that's it. Not the most comfortable car for a long drive, but at 40mpg, I can out up with it. The only problem I've had is with the driver side window falling off the track, which I can fix in about 15 minutes. I love the DX, as has no power anything to break!

284,200 miles of civic HX quality
By ron on 08/03/08 19:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

It averages out to 23,683 mi/yr. crazy, huh? went through 1 month of self troubleshooting w/ egr and related systems, spent near $500 total incl getting the engines cooling channels (in the block) cleaned, 3 yrs ago. AVERAGED 43 mpg first 3-4 yrs,'dropped' to 40/41 next several yrs, the egr killed to 30-32, the fix brought it back to 35-37 mpg. The CVT tranny has been going out for, no b.s., the last 34k miles! I am STILL getting 35-37 mpg! The NEW Civics barely get this let alone any other domestic name out there. I wish I could of had the veh before or after this one from the production line and stored to drive it when this veh finally finds the big garage in the sky.

2nd Owner
By Austen on 07/07/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as my go-getter in Feb 08. The previous owner had neglected this car so I got it at a steal knowing that I would have some work to be done. Whew, $2000 mechanical bill and a $1200 paint job later this thing is awesome. I added some new wheels, projector headlights, LED taillights, and a window tint and now I get endless comments on how good it looks. The stock engine is peppy and seems reliable now that maintenance is up to par. No matter how you drive, this thing never gets less than 30 mpg either.

review
By chad on 05/12/08 00:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

This car so far has just been amazing. Simply amazing. I will give anyone a ride just to have the enjoyment of driving it.