1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Value
By kerrym1 on 12/22/10 17:43 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a few years ago and with regular maintenance, it has been a charm! I have loved having this car for the gas mileage, of which averaged 40mpg (lots of highway driving). I now have 322k miles on it and it seems to have past its prime and the engine is going. It has served me well and will definitely be buying another!!

Another Civic mistake
By Elizabeth on 07/20/08 09:08 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Civic both bought from private sellers. First one: 2000 EX coupe, had a mechanic look at it and it just wound up being a piece of crap, not well cared for like I thought and was told. Sold it. This one was 1 owner, always maintained from day 1, all paperwork so I thought it was okay. Stupid me! Costly repairs on things and I still have costly repairs to do. This $3300 is now almost a $5K car! Civics are notorious for window issues, A/C not great, and I find it uncomfortable to get in/out of and sit for a long time in those thin seats. I bought it w/138K miles and I now have 140K. Can't afford to get rid of it now. Hondas are so overpriced and overrated!

96 civic
By nick on 05/07/08 08:16 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a 2nd owner at 67,000 miles in 1999. As of 2008, It's at 161,000. It's only not started once because of a dead battery. I have changed oil 3500 - 4000 miles, timing belt/water pump at 90k. The power windows have been on and off because of a corroded connection between the drivers door and the body of car. Radio sometimes gets loud probably because of dirty volume knob assembly. I have an exhaust leak that I smell when I start the car. In summary, 9 years excellence service with constant 30+ mpg at a reasonable price.

12 years and still going strong
By mark machula on 03/31/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I had this car given to me as a gift it had 28,000 kms at the time I have had it 3 years and 50,000 kms later and all I have done is change the oil every 5,000 kms new front brakes and tires. I am impressed it never breaks down. It is fun to drive and it has a lot of pep for an engine and car of it's size I am also impressed with its safety. I was in an accident last year with it. I hit another car head on driving 80 kmh and did not even suffer any injuries and my car was fixable. After that experience I feel very safe in my car. Over all I think Honda has built a great quality vehicle with this car.

The most reliable car
By Steve on 02/01/06 15:17 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Car was originally bought as an R-title w 160K. It has been in the family for 5 yrs,now it has 240K. Still gets 33/40 mpg. Haven't changed the timing belt yet. Only changing the oil and an occasional bulb.

The Best in its class.
By Silvercivic on 09/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Over the past 6 months I had this car it drives nearly flawless in every way. Of course since it was used I had to do some minor repairs(New battery, realign rear bumper, swap lightbulbs) To this day I am still very pleased with this car.

Great Car
By Byron on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

In my opinion the Civic is my favorite car in the world. Okay, so it doesn't have the horses or it doesn't have that stylish look compared to the new generation... but performance wise, the Civic can match the rest. Not to mention the great gas mileage it produces. I am very pleased with my Civic.

Great Car!
By cbrcrx on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I have only 90k miles. I have had no problems at all. The reason I gave it a 10 in every catagory is for the price and the catagory it is absolutly the best. I have had 8 different cars during the time I have had the Civic. I will always have a Civic (my 6th one). Almost eveyone of my friends have Civics. Two of them have over 200k with no problems! One just changed the first CV at 210k miles.

Great Car for young people
By Cinnie on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1998, and it has been wonderful. I never had any real problems with it, just upkeep, and gas. Although when I had a baby in 2001, it became very apparent that it wasn't a family vehicle. No room in the back for her now that she is 2, her feet have to rest on the seats, and I have to pull my seat up closer to the steering wheel, so I can't drive comfortably. If you are single, with no children, this is a great car!!!!

Someone said you'd got to be brain dead
By hlteo on 04/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought a 157k miles 98 LX from the 2nd owner who doesn't know what car maintenance means. She paid for all the quickie oil changes but the original timing belt is still there after 157k miles. Goes to tell you how amazing the car is built. Anyway, I bought it cheap and spent $800 on a major service including new timing belt, fan belt, water pump, etc... The transmission also did not get a fluid change in the last 135k miles!!! With a little TLC, this car will drive beyond 200k miles.