Used 1996 Honda Civic EX Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Careful!
By Juliet

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Ok so i was here looking at reviews to purchase my 1996 honda civic and was amazed by all the good reviews. Anyways i bought my honda and turns out to be a total nightmare. First problem door locks broke then the driver door lock broke not opening from the inside or outside. Second i started having inflated water hoses. I changed the radiator and the hoses and the thermostat and water pump. I still continue with pressure in the hoses i have combustion gas going into my coolant system. I took to a mechanic turns out that apparently the timing belt broke and since these cars have an interference engine it caused the piston to bent the exhaust valves. Dont buy a car with interference engine buy with none interference engine this repair cost more then $1000.00 dollars beware there is no oil mixing with coolant nor engine noise or any white smoke and it runs like has no problems when u go buy this car take a combustion tester because i bought this car with bent valves and it seemed perfect also young kids burn out these cars beware. Test hoses for pressure and make sure they are not inflated also open radiator coolant for combustion gas make sure to do this with engine COLD. Check for bubbles in water or if u see weird glitter on radiator Stay away thats a Stop leak head cover or blue could be bluedevil STAY AWAY.

Will keep it for life!
By monkeybomb

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 civic 3 years ago. I've put the work into it that it needed replacing cv axles, ball joints, control arms etc... I attribute these things to previous owner errors. This has been the best car! It's small but not cramped. I have 3 kids and we all fit. Mine is a 5 speed standard transmission and I routinely get 37-39 combined MPG! I HAVE ~240,000 miles on this car with the original transmission, clutch and engine. She's still running strong and is well worth every penny I have into her. If taken care of properly, this car will go forever! Buying seals from auto parts stores will not fix any leakage problem; buy direct from dealer.

Gas mileage; handling, longevity, space, quality.

None. Very good for age etc

Great car!
By km

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic in 1999 with 37,000 miles on it. We're in 2009 and it has 180,000 miles now. I have had no issues with it whatsoever, just the normal maintenance. It has been so reliable and dependable. Gas mileage is great! Honda knows what they're doing!

The moon roof is nice during hot days. Sound system is exceptional! Use to be able to fill up for $12 dollars and now with a little higher gas prices it's around $17 dollars.

Come back to the style of the 96' Civic.

Forget the Jones'
By Fronteeer

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Why did they stop making cars like this? Underpowered fuel-sippers with lots of passenger and trunk space. Who cares if you can't take off fast? I'm getting 38mpg. This Honda is 13 years old and it's better than any car I've ever owned. Sure, it's got a few dings and scratches, and there's a little surface rust on the fenders, but that's to be expected when salt is sprayed on the roads all winter. The transmission's still tight and smooth, everything works, and it's the most reliable vehicle in my driveway. On a few occasions this winter it's been used to jumpstart two much newer vehicles on really cold mornings. This is definitely not my last Honda. It has 125,000 miles on it and runs great.

Smooth manual transmission, great fuel economy, stable and predictable handling, light weight, big trunk, good rear legroom and headroom, remote trunk and fuel door release.

Go back to the 1.5L to save even more gas.

You could find a better car, Period!
By jack

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for about ten years. It has been from New england to Florida a few times. It's been so reliable that I would recommend this car to anyone who wants very little headaches and does not obsess over transportation. In ten years of ownership It's been in the shop for CV joints, for an electrical malfunction in gas tank and for power window regulators, all 3+ years apart! What more can you say about that? Oh yes, tires and brakes are inexpensive. The car is so simple to work on that you can 80% of the repairs yourself, if handy. Car has 163K on it, bought it with 30K. I've waxed the car, so rust is just now starting on fender.

The car is easy to park and easy on fuel-15 bucks to fill at 1.80. I love the split folding seats and excellent fit and finish. Auto tranny is smooth. It's unbelievable in the snow, get good tires.

Car is bit small for me, 6 feet tall, but doable. The engine on this year model is not very powerful, so you really have to step on it to merge with traffic. That's all been fixed in newer models. It needs fog lights.