1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Honda's Best
By cvilla on 10/16/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I bought it in 1999 used with over 60K miles. People laughed and thought I got ripped off! $8000 for a car with high mileage then. The years of gas at $3.75 came and those same people could not afford to go to the beach like I could because their BIG trucks used too much gas. Now 2009, the car has 221000 miles and still shows no signs of quitting. I didn't do all those scheduled maintenance. I haven't even changed the timing chain/belt. Just oil/ air filters, breaks and fluids! Oh and I had to replace CV boots. That's all. BEST car I've owned, and I've owned plenty. Audi,BMW, Mustang, Chevys, VW, Renault, Bronco etc. Honda could take a lesson from its past and redo it!

40 mpg
By BPM, Maine on 03/14/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Great point A to B car, excellent for city driving. The 96-00 Civics are some of the best used cars around. Inexpensive to own (purchase price, Ins. cost, repair, fuel etc.). ***The SOHC engines can be prone to connecting rod bearing failure at high mileage.***

No Car payment
By Arthur Harts on 04/06/07 12:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Overall, I've owned 3 other Honda civics. Nothing beats the 1996. It's a tank and keeps on going no matter what goes wrong with it.

LOVE my Civic
By Susan Rowland on 11/20/06 10:04 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This Civic is a great little car. Reliable. fuel efficient, well mannered, and likable. I can't rate it highly enough.

Honda envy
By hon-da-man on 07/27/06 11:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Got this one with 60k on it and now has 144k. Gas mileage can go up to 46 mpg if I really baby it, but gets 40 mpg now. No problems, except self induced ones. Wish I had gotten one with power windows and doorlocks, just for convenience.

Good Reliable Car
By Tim J on 03/06/06 12:56 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Great car - has been pretty reliable, now at 135,000 miles. Have had to fix: Exhaust Manifold Muffler (both rust) Distributor/Rotor (wouldn't start) I would characterize the repairs to this car as minor, vs other cars I have owned or a similar age. From my own experience/other reviews it appears that exhaust rust is the only real fleet-wide problem with the 1996 civic. Fortunately these aren't terribly expensive to replace, vs the repairs I have had on other older cars.

mcknight's honda civic
By Charles Mcknight on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Hello I love my honda civic I just wish the interior was more of a factor while the design of this car was being made,although the comfirtability is great. In the near future I would like to see better quality as far as the material used when designing these interior products goes . Thanks Honda , Charles MCknight.

Best package ever
By ObsessedWithCivics on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for one year. It has 75k on it now; had 69k when I bought it. There have been ZERO problems, and I've grown to love it more and more. The engine can't be better-- it has a suprising amount of power for the fuel economy that it gets. I now believe if you buy any other subcompact car, you are either really braindead or haven't done your research.

this car is super cool
By Ken4238 on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I think this is the best car around, good looking, acceptable price, long lasting engine, i like it.

To keep Or Not To Keep Is The Question.
By Kuma on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely great. I have had no problems ever! My mom bought the car in 96 and I took it over in 98. It is so reliable. Gas mileage is great. I don't take care of the car to the best of my ability but I've never totally neglected it. If you want an affordable dependable mode of transportation Civic is the one.