1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
I miss my Civic!
By mdries on 06/08/12 10:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

This was my first car in high school, and I loved it. I now drive a 2001 Acura CL, which has a LOT more cool features than the Civic; however, I often find myself missing the Civic. It did not have any modern features like power locks, power windows, or a CD player. However, the car ran unbelievably well considering it was 15 years old and had about 220,000 miles when we sold it! If I did not switch to my sister's Acura when she bought a company car, I would probably still be driving the Civic today. Also the MPGs on this car are phenomenal! If you accelerate conservatively you can get 35-40 MPG easily.

Best Car I have owned
By sfluver007 on 03/22/11 20:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I bought my '96 Civic about a year ago, used, after not owning a car for 7yrs. I live in San Francisco. Everyone thought I was out of my mind because the car had 257K miles on it.....I did take it to a mechanic and he told me that he has Hondas coming in with well over 300K. So I bought it......it now has almost 300K on it and shows no signs of slowing down. It's still very quick, solid, reliable and most of all, a damned lot of fun to drive. Oh, and I have spent less than $400 bucks in maintence and repairs. I will buy another Honda before anything else....ever!

I Love This CAR!
By dalaeaka on 09/20/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this from a friend with 80,000 miles on it in 2004, before gas prices went up. Since then, all I've done is do the recommended timing belt/water pump change @ 110,000 mi (they looked brand new. Otherwise, I just drive it (about 20,000 miles per year. In the summer, with the air off, I can get up to 42 mpg. With the air on, I get 36 mpg! I carry two kayaks on top and get 34 mpg! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, that's it. Not the most comfortable car for a long drive, but at 40mpg, I can out up with it. The only problem I've had is with the driver side window falling off the track, which I can fix in about 15 minutes. I love the DX, as has no power anything to break!

Greatest Little Secret (Not so Secret)
By HappyHonda on 12/27/05 09:22 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

Great car ! Long commute (175 miles round trip) Great 38 - 40 mpg. Super reliable. Original everything except required maintenance parts. Original clutch, no mechanical work. Interior still like new. Exterior finally showing a little fade. Steering tight and precise. Few rattles. Only three minor draws... had to replace windshield due to sand blast effect pocketing, due to low ride height, had to replace driver side rubber around window - gets stiff with age and snags to the point window fell off track, and needs just a little more pep, but if you need a great reliable sturdy car this is the one.

Honda Civic
By brettF on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

This is my second honda civic. I would state that this is a very reliable vehicle. I have never had mechanical problems in 10 years of driving these Civics!

How to deal with High Gas Prices
By therock69 on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I bought the car in 8/2001. All the servicing I have had done are oil changes and changing the radiator fluid. I use the cheapest gas I can find. It gets 40+ highway miles to the gallon. How can I complain? Its probably one of the smartest purchases I've made in a long time.

Worlds Best Value
By sdanville on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

Needed a car for my daughter. Wanted to spend $5000. With some shopping some 96's can be found at that price. Had already bought one Honda Civic on Ebay and it worked out..took another chance. This one had been hit. Dealer didnt disclose. Out side of that, the car runs as expected. 115,000 miles and the steering is tighter than my $30,000 Oldsmobile with 40,000 miles.

Great choice for my first car
By Littlemiss7075 on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I bought my car almost four years ago with approximately 26,000 mileage on it and I don't regret my choice. This is my first car and I have to admit I had reservations about buying a used car....with all those "lemons" out there, but my honda has made my experience of owning my first car a good one so far. Hasn't let me down especially in the winter when I really need it.My next "new" car will definately be another honda.

Great Car
By PSXman80 on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

This was the first car that I looked at in the lot, it was a sad kind of dirty little car. I took her out for a test-drive and she really delivered a lot more than I thought she would for a 4 cylinder engine. I bought her the next day after not even thinking that much about it. She has only 60,500 miles on it, and she's running perfectly.

Best Coupe under $14000
By asic designer on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I own this car about 6 years by now, just love it. Very high reliability (so far less than $150 to fix a trivia problem), fun to drive, over 37 mpg average on hwy/local (5spd manual).