Used 1995 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

My baby and she's a fixer
By onimpulse

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well to everyone who has problems with this car: The engine in this car craps out anytime after 200,000 miles. A few years ago, that happened to me, and I purchased another engine in LA that was shipped from Japan. Cars in Japan are not allowed to have more than, I think, 60,000 miles on their car. After this, it's technically illegal to drive. So they ship their old, perfectly great engines over here. My Dad gave me this car a few months ago after owning it for 12 years.The most reliable car ever. My Dad now owns the new Civic and a new Accord. I wouldn't trade my 95 Civic for any other new model Honda, Toyota, or any Japanese brand. I get GREAT gas mileage city or highway. up to 36.

Gas Mileage, decent space, stick shift is always fun to drive. It's now 2015 and this car is still my life. I would never put anything aftermarket on it. Stock is the best way to go... I wish other teens and young adults would understand that too.Replacing stereo and speakers was simple. I've grown attached to it and it is just so fun to drive, especially it being manual stick. it surprisingly has very good trunk space also.

The cons I HATE the interior. Cup holders are so tiny and cheap. Things spill all the time. Might want to replace them with something sturdier. It gets very hot in the car and a lot of the time the switch to change from heat to cool air breaks. I've replaced two, from junkyard Civics. Inside the car isn't too quiet either. We've spent 1,300 dollars to repair the AC in the car only to get it somewhat cold. Have to keep the AC on constantly to stay cool. While AC is on, it seems like you lose about 30 HP. It's a huge difference with it on. Definitely wish it had a bit more power. Usually put it in 3rd minimum to get up maybe 35 degree hills especially with AC on.

This car will be the death of me
By haili73

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Ever since we bought this car, it has given me nothing but problems. The first day I had it, the passenger door handle broke, next the windshield wipers fell off. The car doesn't beep at me when I leave the lights on, which resulted in several dead batteries. (yes, I realize that this is operator error, but still) It broke down four hours from home, leaving me stuck in gas/service station for a day and a half. Just about everything was wrong with it...timing belt (which we specifically were told was fine) radiator, among other issues. Then the AC went out...then something else broke down, it started making funny noises and shuddering, smelling weird, acting like a stick shift...it's scary.

Nothing. Because I love being stranded. I love not being able to tell if my car is going to start for me or if it will get me to my destination. I love it when I can't even tell if my car is going to shift to third gear on its own or if I'm going to have to help it shift. I love breaking down and trekking through snowbanks taller than I am and being late. #sarcasm

Everything.

Will this car ever die?
By CN

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

It just runs and runs. At this point I might simply keep another 3 yrs and give to my kid. At 156,000 miles, this puppy is still running strong, no blue smoke. I simply change oil regularly and perform general maintenance; CV boots, brakes, oil, wiper blades, etc. Generally speaking minimal repairs. I've saved a boat-load of money driving this car for so many years. It's comfortable, zippy, easy to park. I wish I had bought the sun roof model back the. My next one will have all the bells and whistles as I've had many years to save money to buy now. Great car!

zippy, much pep, plenty trunk room, comfortable seats for such a small car.

better cup holders

Simple, Efficient, Comfortable
By Code

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Since day 1, this machine ran like a dream. Its independent Coil over suspension gives it a soft ride over ridged bumps and yet stiff enough not to flip when taking quick corners. Mine was in pretty ruff shape, the dash board was all broken because somebody wanted a stock radio, the wiper blade switch was busted, and the exhaust system. I installed a Cat-back exhaust on mine, not for show but because I don't want to be robed of performance from the garbage muffler that was on there. Has surprisingly more room then my last car, the power windows are a plus, for me! The underbelly of the car was coated with Rhino Lining, NO RUST! quarter panels are almost gone! Big trunk!

Suspension, cheap parts, upgrades!

Exhaust, Put anti-rust coating on the inside of the panels!

Good rep, bad car
By aec239

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Have had my '95 LX for just over a year and it's sitting on Craigslist waiting for someone to buy it. The car is extremely slow, even with the manual trans. It's tiny which is only good for parallel parking, only fits about 2 adults comfortably. Gas mileage is AWESOME (36 mpg in the city) which is the reason I bought it when gas was almost at $5. If you're a single person that commutes with no kids, pets, or stuff to carry around than it's an ok car. I've found that the car is completely rusted out underneath when a piece of my exhaust fell off on the highway (and you can only go 70 mph or the little engine will blow up). CV joints and rack boots need replacing every year.

Gas mileage in the city, will run forever if you pay for the constant maintenance.

Gas mileage on highway, too small, cup holders are worthless, very easy to break into.