Used 1995 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1995 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

My baby and she's a fixer
By onimpulse

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well to everyone who has problems with this car: The engine in this car craps out anytime after 200,000 miles. A few years ago, that happened to me, and I purchased another engine in LA that was shipped from Japan. Cars in Japan are not allowed to have more than, I think, 60,000 miles on their car. After this, it's technically illegal to drive. So they ship their old, perfectly great engines over here. My Dad gave me this car a few months ago after owning it for 12 years.The most reliable car ever. My Dad now owns the new Civic and a new Accord. I wouldn't trade my 95 Civic for any other new model Honda, Toyota, or any Japanese brand. I get GREAT gas mileage city or highway. up to 36.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, decent space, stick shift is always fun to drive. It's now 2015 and this car is still my life. I would never put anything aftermarket on it. Stock is the best way to go... I wish other teens and young adults would understand that too.Replacing stereo and speakers was simple. I've grown attached to it and it is just so fun to drive, especially it being manual stick. it surprisingly has very good trunk space also.

Suggested Improvements

The cons I HATE the interior. Cup holders are so tiny and cheap. Things spill all the time. Might want to replace them with something sturdier. It gets very hot in the car and a lot of the time the switch to change from heat to cool air breaks. I've replaced two, from junkyard Civics. Inside the car isn't too quiet either. We've spent 1,300 dollars to repair the AC in the car only to get it somewhat cold. Have to keep the AC on constantly to stay cool. While AC is on, it seems like you lose about 30 HP. It's a huge difference with it on. Definitely wish it had a bit more power. Usually put it in 3rd minimum to get up maybe 35 degree hills especially with AC on.

This car will be the death of me
By haili73

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Ever since we bought this car, it has given me nothing but problems. The first day I had it, the passenger door handle broke, next the windshield wipers fell off. The car doesn't beep at me when I leave the lights on, which resulted in several dead batteries. (yes, I realize that this is operator error, but still) It broke down four hours from home, leaving me stuck in gas/service station for a day and a half. Just about everything was wrong with it...timing belt (which we specifically were told was fine) radiator, among other issues. Then the AC went out...then something else broke down, it started making funny noises and shuddering, smelling weird, acting like a stick shift...it's scary.

Favorite Features

Nothing. Because I love being stranded. I love not being able to tell if my car is going to start for me or if it will get me to my destination. I love it when I can't even tell if my car is going to shift to third gear on its own or if I'm going to have to help it shift. I love breaking down and trekking through snowbanks taller than I am and being late. #sarcasm

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

Best car ever!
By megsiep52

1995 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 202k miles on it. I've had it just over a year and it's not got 220k. It consistently gets 39 mpg combined (it has the 1.5L Vtec motor). We've had to put some work into it; CV axles, tie rods, control arms and ball joints; but this has been well worth the time and $ put into it. This car gets better city gas mileage than just about ANY new car. And with it being 18 years old with 220k miles on it? It drives like new! The paint is fading but we're going to have a paint job done. For a completely STOCK car this is the best buy out there!

Favorite Features

gas mileage, cost of repairs, smooth drive, easy to drive, excellent value in a car

Suggested Improvements

door handles

I love my Honda
By katemeister

1995 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car last year and have put well over 30k. The guy I bought it from figured it must be getting old at 230k for miles. Now at 266k it still goes and goes. I had to put a transmission in it when I got it. (which I got for $140 used and installed only into it less that $500). All I ever have to do is put oil in it .

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage. Runs smooth

Suggested Improvements

Dents really easy. Lol

Will this car ever die?
By CN

1995 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

It just runs and runs. At this point I might simply keep another 3 yrs and give to my kid. At 156,000 miles, this puppy is still running strong, no blue smoke. I simply change oil regularly and perform general maintenance; CV boots, brakes, oil, wiper blades, etc. Generally speaking minimal repairs. I've saved a boat-load of money driving this car for so many years. It's comfortable, zippy, easy to park. I wish I had bought the sun roof model back the. My next one will have all the bells and whistles as I've had many years to save money to buy now. Great car!

Favorite Features

zippy, much pep, plenty trunk room, comfortable seats for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders