Used 1995 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Just keeps going
By Amy La

1995 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Bought my second manual Civic HB in the summer of 1999 with 43,000. It's now 2015, it has 221k, and it's still going. The major repair costs I've had are exhaust systems and suspension, I blame both on living in a city with terrible roads and the car being so low. It's on it's second timing belt, original clutch, and second radiator (the first rusted out around 5 or so years ago). I'm about to buy a new(er) car because this one needs a lot of repairs that will add up, but I plan on listing it as-is to see if someone will buy it and give it the love it deserves. Friends bugged me for years about getting a new car, but why give up this one before its time?

So completely basic that there's nothing to break. It's spoiled me, any other manual car feels finicky and clunky.

Lots of road noise, seats are terrible for long rides

Great Car / Great Mileage
By kendaddy126

1995 Honda Civic Hatchback VX 2dr Hatchback

I have had my civic for a while now. It gets as high as 48mpg. I average around 39mpg. It's not big on creature comforts... no cruse, no power steering, no power locks, no power windows. It's got AC and a radio. It also has over 200,000 miles on it. Still runs strong. I've done the timing belt once (time for another) CV axels, master cylinder, battery, alternator, and general mantance.. that's it! I'm now debateing spending more money on another timing belt and to have the seat re-done.. don't know if it's worth it on a car this old, but it's paid for and runs great so I probably will... It's also bone stock.. no rice rocket here

Gas mileage and reliability.

Power steering would be nice... so would many comfort features.. but that adds weight and reduces MPG... it is also very slow.. no power.. again MPG

Best car everrr!
By andreroman21

1995 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Purchased the car from my brother 2 years ago. A few things were done to it including an engine swap from a japanese civic SiR-II(170HP) and cloth seats from a 2001 Integra, as well as 2001 Integra GS-R rims. It is amazing on gas averaging about 40mpg hwy and has alot of oomph when I need it. I use it to commute to my job about 26 miles a day. I use synthetic oil and change oil as suggested as well as spark plugs. I have had no problems with the car as of yet. I love the looks of the car. Very unique... Honda really should put out a new hatchback model. I wont be getting rid of this car for a long long time. Exterior is stock except for coilovers and fresh paintjob. I get alot of compliments

Cargo capacity of hatch, great interior design, clean subtle sporty exterior design, good for parking, MPG, reliablity

cupholders.... I think thats the only thing that was dissapointing. Theyre very small when you look at how big 7 Eleven Big Gulp and fast food drinks have grown since 1995.

Great Little Car
By kendaddy126

1995 Honda Civic Hatchback VX 2dr Hatchback

I am in sales and I can drive as much as 300 miles in one day. Probably an average of 130 or so. The Civic runs great, and gets 41mpg! They say these VXs can get as much as 50mpg... I don't know why I don't get that, but I'm not complaining... It could be that it's a 95 with 180k on it and it's just not going to get 50mpg. I think it's funny that these hybrids today get the same mpg as my little cheapo honda. It's pretty slow and could definitely use some more hp.. espically with the AC on. If performance is important, don't go with a VX.. get an SI. Also, make sure you change the timing belts and water pump every 90k mi.

Gas mileage. Very reliable. It's simple, most maintenance can be done yourself... ex: spark plugs, valve cover gasket, coolant flush, air filter, battery, etc..

It's not all that bad, but most VX trims don't have power steering. that would make it better. I would also like a rear wiper, and more power equipment. But the vx was designed for economy and weight savings, so what can I say.

Great commuter
By Chiplayer

1995 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

The car is great! I got the car with only 44,000 original miles a few months ago and the car is 15 years old! I could not believe it and the independent dealer I bought it from seemed to be insulted when I indirectly suggested the mileage couldn't be right. I bought a carfax report right after I bought it and sure enough, the car had one owner and the mileage was right on! The greatest deal I ever got on a car! The body has a couple of bangs and the paint is faded and peeling but who cares the interior is 'cherry' and the engine like new! Too bad these cars are one of the most stolen cars out there. It's okay, I sleep with a bat and I am not referring to my wife!

The car is small and cozy. I like the fact that I'm not some idoit using up a lot of money for gas and polluting the air so much.

Needs to come standard with rear speakers. It can get a bit crowded in the rear especially when having fatter passengers. Needs a 'real' cup holder closer to the driver and maybe an arm rest.