1994 Honda Civic Consumer Review: first car

1994 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

DX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

first car
By jrm on

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car, got it in high school (DX hatch, 5-spd). Not problem-free but I drove it hard, and it was a blast to drive (I now have an LS1 Camaro which is infinitely faster and more powerful but this Civic was so light it was just a lot of fun). Unfortunately this car was totaled by my sister about 7 years ago. Sometimes I wish I still had it. Gas mileage was an honest 27 city / 32 highway - real numbers not EPA.

Engine was gutless down low but has decent pep from 4500-6500 rpm (don't be scared to rev it), tranny was the best shifting FWD I've ever driven, better than the Mazda R2 in my F-150 and at least as good as the T-56 in my Camaro. Car was light, maneuverable and fun to drive.

CV joints were crap (went through 2 sets), brake rotors warp (2 sets as well). 2nd gear synchro was about gone when it was totaled. A/C not suited to Texas summers (car was black but that's no excuse).