Used 1994 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1994 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

They should build 'em all like this!
By Kate

1994 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car for over 11 years. Car makers of the world should take lessons from Honda. I'd have kept it indefinitely except for wanting the more advanced safety features available in new cars. I held out for as long as I could!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage! Great reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Eleven years late, of course, but Honda could have sprung for a "lights on" chime and a "low fuel" warning light. Those were the only two features I wished this car'd had. Maybe the new Civics have them.

Bought my Civic used in 1998
By Wayne Lewis

1994 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

The most annoying part of this little 4 door sedan is the automatic transmission.Though it has been trouble-free, it is underpowered from ramp speed up to highway speed. It will cruise nicely at 120 kilometres an hour just over 70 miles per hour. I bought the car used privately with 110,000 kilometres (65,000 miles). I have had few problems with it and it now has nearly 300,000 kilometres or 180,000 miles. I plan on keeping it another 2 years and with the Krown rustproofing the car has seen since it was 4 years old annually, it still looks great! The car has had an axle and upper ball joint replacement on one side front- end. The remainder has been normal maintenence!Great car!

Favorite Features

Reliability and dependability. It is a fun car to drive still.Looks great with some help from annual Krown Rust- checks application after year 4 of age has kept the car looking good!

Suggested Improvements

Poor headlight illumination. i upgraded the headlights to Sylvania NightHawks' bulbs which improved night visibility by about 50 per cent. More horsepower needed for automatic tranny.Fine for 5 speed though. Tachometer as standard equipment just as they offered in the older generation Civics.

Best little car I've ever owned
By Joyce in Ohio

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

My Honda has 288,000+ on the odometer and is still going strong. The steering on this car is phenomenal. I have NEVER lost control, even in snow ice, on crowded highways and ducking clueless motorists. What astounds me is that I continue to get between 40 and 45 mpg, even at 11 years later and the engine does not seem to burn oil. It has never let me down and has only failed to start when I left the headlights on. Normal maintenance for this car has been really minimal (i.e., I ignored it).

Favorite Features

First, the ease of handling. Second, the fuel economy. Best, the utter reliability.

Suggested Improvements

One improvement: Let me know that I've left my headlights on!

Honda at the Pinnacle of Quality
By tommy thompson

1994 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

Awesome mpg: 41/50 combined with 11 trouble free year gives the VX a hands down win in my book

Suggested Improvements

Better tranny for smoother low speed maneuvering in traffic

163k and still going
By YamInIA

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

i bought her used w/135K on her, and even tho the body is rough, the engine is fantastic. i change the oil, and am taking her in this month for the timing belt/w.pump r&r. i doubt its ever been done, and is recc.every 70K or so. i use this car to commute avg.of 150 miles/day, and it never fails me. handles well in winter conditions due to low/wide build. i LOVE the 5spd manual trans..is so fun, and good mpg too. I love this car so much, i'm putting about $1000 into her to get her looking nice and getting the engine to 100% performance. most would say it isn't worth it, but i bet its only used 1/2 its 'life'. hoping to get 300K+ before she calls it quits.

Favorite Features

zippy stock 5spd. trans

Suggested Improvements

the cup holders are awful. possible heavier body metal..dents easily.