Used 1994 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1994 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Can't go wrong
By frankjfavela

1994 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my younger brothers 94 Honda Civic Lx after he could no longer afford it and I my 2003 Ford Expedition XLT, the MPG was killing me I was spending about $100 a week just on gas and I was only able to use it for work. The Civic was a blessing the car even though it's underpowered gets amazing MPG plus filling up with only $40 a every 1 1/2 for me makes it worth every penny, the car has cosmetic issues the paint was all burned and the paint scratched but she runs like if she was new and with 138K on her already I expect another 200K easy. I would sell my Civic for anything.

Favorite Features

MPG, tire prices, power everything and very little maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the 1.5L had more power and torque.

Good Car
By Jaylee

1994 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Good car, great gas mileage. Would be a great car to send your kid off to college in. Not so great for a family of 4, though!

Suggested Improvements

Something to tell me when I've left my lights on!

They should build 'em all like this!
By Kate

1994 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car for over 11 years. Car makers of the world should take lessons from Honda. I'd have kept it indefinitely except for wanting the more advanced safety features available in new cars. I held out for as long as I could!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage! Great reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Eleven years late, of course, but Honda could have sprung for a "lights on" chime and a "low fuel" warning light. Those were the only two features I wished this car'd had. Maybe the new Civics have them.

Bought my Civic used in 1998
By Wayne Lewis

1994 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The most annoying part of this little 4 door sedan is the automatic transmission.Though it has been trouble-free, it is underpowered from ramp speed up to highway speed. It will cruise nicely at 120 kilometres an hour just over 70 miles per hour. I bought the car used privately with 110,000 kilometres (65,000 miles). I have had few problems with it and it now has nearly 300,000 kilometres or 180,000 miles. I plan on keeping it another 2 years and with the Krown rustproofing the car has seen since it was 4 years old annually, it still looks great! The car has had an axle and upper ball joint replacement on one side front- end. The remainder has been normal maintenence!Great car!

Favorite Features

Reliability and dependability. It is a fun car to drive still.Looks great with some help from annual Krown Rust- checks application after year 4 of age has kept the car looking good!

Suggested Improvements

Poor headlight illumination. i upgraded the headlights to Sylvania NightHawks' bulbs which improved night visibility by about 50 per cent. More horsepower needed for automatic tranny.Fine for 5 speed though. Tachometer as standard equipment just as they offered in the older generation Civics.

Reliable Transport
By jalama

1994 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased about a year ago with 187k mi, needed new clutch and clutch master cylinder leaked. Driver's window upper forward seal has gnarled up from the sun so window is difficult to close and produces wind noise. Otherwise regular maintenance is all this car needs. It has a smooth response and predictable handling. Everything but the window nag still works. At 198k and 11yrs age I expect it to drive another 100k without major issues. Look for quiet tires when replacing them. Previous owner was original and had no problems, despite a front end crash repair, just kept up scheduled maintenance. It is not powerful, if you want a faster Civic buy the Si trim.

Favorite Features

It is tireless and predictable, just keeps on working.

Suggested Improvements

Make peace with the noise level. Cruise control overreacts, speeding up inclines and slowing down declines.