Used 1994 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Like the Energizer Bunny!
By David McDonald

1994 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic LX with 30,000 miles back in early 1998 while I was still in college. I sold it in December 2007 with 157,000 miles; the engine was as strong and dependable as when I bought it.

Major maintenance costs were as follows:

80,000 mi: slave clutch cylinder died ($120)
100,000 mi: replaced timing belt ($400)
130,000 mi: master clutch cylinder died ($200)
130,000 mi: radiator cracked on plastic head ($350)
130,000 mi: replaced both front axles due to cracked boots ($400)
150,000 mi: replaced steering cracking rack boot ($300)
155,000 mi: ignition switch started to go bad

While I went through about 3 pairs of front brake pads, the rear brake shoes were still the originals. Brake pads cost me as little as $9, and with a single bolt holding each front caliper in place, they were a snap (30 minutes) to replace.

At around 100,000, the car just wouldn't start up one day; I replaced the spark plugs (~$15), and it started right back up.

At 155,000, the car just shut off on the road on the way to work, and all the instrumentation shut off. It started up again, but did the same to me a couple of additional times throughout the week. I traced the issue to a bad ignition switch, common in high-mileage Hondas. Cost is about $200.

While this car is extremely dependable, it's most certainly not a luxury car (even with the "LX" moniker). Road noise is quite noticeable, and the rear plastic bumper panel keeps trying to pry loose from its attach point on the quarter panel. The engine vibrates going through 4000 rpm while accelerating, and the whole vehicle shutters in response. The original sound system leaves much to be desired, and the paper speakers will most certainly die well before the car.

Despite its shortcomings, I most heartily recommend this car. Its 30-40 mpg gas mileage, its extreme reliability, and its inexpensive maintenance make up for its shortcomings in spades.

best civic ever
By samehkane

1994 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

best handling car - great performance - all thing work perfectly after all this year - best value for money - can easily beat any car in its class - very sporty

Can't go wrong
By frankjfavela

1994 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my younger brothers 94 Honda Civic Lx after he could no longer afford it and I my 2003 Ford Expedition XLT, the MPG was killing me I was spending about $100 a week just on gas and I was only able to use it for work. The Civic was a blessing the car even though it's underpowered gets amazing MPG plus filling up with only $40 a every 1 1/2 for me makes it worth every penny, the car has cosmetic issues the paint was all burned and the paint scratched but she runs like if she was new and with 138K on her already I expect another 200K easy. I would sell my Civic for anything.

MPG, tire prices, power everything and very little maintenance.

Wish the 1.5L had more power and torque.

very reliable.
By kaytebug22

1994 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

i bought this car used at 176,000 ish miles for $2,300 in 2005, already 11 years old.
it's just had it's last run now in 2012 at 312,000 miles!! honestly i could probably get it running for $50 but its had it's time and i'm ready for something different.

I have never had any major repairs done to this car.
although i've always had some blower motor switch problem that i could have fixed but didn't.
the blower finally quit nov 2011.
if i had fixed my problem when it was small it would have been fine.

i drove this car across country 900 mile journey 3 times and countless trips in range of 100 miles at a time.
great long lasting car!

i love that this car was built to last! its a cute small car that people offered to buy off me many times. it was fantastic on gas. my 10 gal tank would without problems take me over 300 miles even when my tune up was long overdue.

my only negative about this car was that it was very "econo" in comfort and lacked any quality cup holder.

5 yr. ownership
By Linas

1994 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 128,000 miles on it. I am very satisfied with it and like the performance and handling of the car. It is a manual transmission and the shifts are smooth. I have not made any major repairs on it. I have taken 1000 mile road trips with this car. I am looking forward to buying a Civic Si soon.