1994 Honda Civic DX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1994 Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sort Reviews by

great budget car
By rodmanzer

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2009 with 149,900 miles. The paint was original but the clear was coming off and the color was fading. It came with all new belts,hoses,radiator, ignition wires that I can see. It is an automatic with A/C and power steering. Disappointed no anti lock brakes they were an option.It runs perfect and a year later still does, it burns the normal amount of oil all engines do no matter the miles. It is a gutless wonder, rids like crud and you have to punch it just to get going but it gets great gas mileage and is very reliable. I worked for Honda in the service department so I knew what to get as a economy car used and I like to buy American GM's they are great too.

Favorite Features

great budget car that should last just maintain it and don't overheat it or goodbye motor. Mileage is good but not over 32 like others claim.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension, it rides and handles as cheap as it costs. No clock. The automatic Transmission shifter goes into d3 not d4 when you put into gear you have to remember to put up one. NO POWER.

Why don't they still make 'em?
By Brent

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

Why don't they still make cars like this. I have 114k on this car and I am getting 40-42 mpg with a five speed manual trans. I drive conservatively so I get the gas mileage. I thought about buying a new civic but why??? Less mpg and a big dollar price. I hope to drive this for many years to come.

Favorite Features

MPG, easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

Seats are hard and don't offer a lot of support.

I'm dissappointed!
By JV

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

Got this vehicle a few months ago (02/2007) at 143,000 miles and was pretty excited at first and started to appreciate everything about the vehicle - believing the "big hype about Civic's" more and more until last month (07/2007). The radiator blew up then other problems followed, even after a new radiator! It had an overheating problem before according to the previous owner, so maybe the previous owner was naive and careless and weakened the overall life of the car. Maybe it's because this model was manufactured in Canada as Honda of Canada Inc. Since this is my first Honda ever, it made a poor impression and I may never look at Honda's ever again, unless it's Japan made!

Favorite Features

Light weight and easy to drive. I also like the sporty body look!

Suggested Improvements

The new Civic's now are all well built with excellent features as well.

This is a great car
By Jack

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $200 from someone who tore up the tranny. It is a 5 speed and this kid didn't know how to drive one, so he learned on this car. It is great! The only reason I had to go into the tranny was because of him, and it was a simple fix. It has 156,000 miles on it, and it is very dependable. I do wish it was a little more comfortable, but it will do with gas being $2.80 a gallon. 42 MPG in a 12 year old car!!!

Favorite Features

5 speed

A Great Cheap Car
By I own a Honda

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

The Civic is a great cheap car. Cheap to maintain but not cheap in quality. It will never fail you. Great for short trips/daily commute. Not great for long trips--too much road noise.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, small size makes it easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

better cupholders, make front seats more comfortable, sound insulation

Great Car!
By pdog

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This car gets the best gas mileage - still up to 40 on the freeway. Front and back seats are very comfortable (unless you are >250lbs) and people can't believe how much I can fit in the trunk. The car handles ok, not great, and has a decent ride(only 13" rims), but car is quick if you are willing to push it, since it is so light. Faster than my friends Mini.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage! Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Make the new civics cheaper!

Fun little car
By bddevries

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

The car handles extremely well. Not a lot of engine power, so having an manual transmission is a must for adequate performance. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

Handling/cornering. Nice transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Weak head gasket design caused early failure. Replacement gasket was strengthened in critical points to correct for failure.

Econobox
By Civic Driver

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

Overall, OK car for a cheap daily commuter. Just don't expect much from this econobox. Weak engine, poor performance, major understeer, soft suspension, ugly 13" steel wheels, no grip 175 70R13 tires, ... Has great potential though. Many aftermarket bolt-on parts for this car if you are willing to spend the money.

Favorite Features

Easy to maintain. Good reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Should model the next Civic coupe after the BMW 330ci

UNCOMFORTABLE!!!
By Bethany

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

If it wasn't for being the most uncomfortable car ever to exist, this car would be great.I have sinced sold my car because of this.It was a very reliable car, it is a shame it was so uncomfortable. The seat was so sloped it was like sitting in a hole. I started suffering from coccyx pain not long after I bought it. I had to see a physical therapist who said I will probably have this pain for the rest of my life (I am in my 20's). Now every time I drive,I am uncomfortable and have pain(and I drive a minivan). I don' t think I could bring myself to ever buy a Honda again, even though they are probably one of the most reliable cars on the road.

Favorite Features

Reliability, cheap maintenance, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

COMFORT!! The seats are terrible. Every car on the road should have adjustable seats (height, seat angle, etc.) And make the seat with a little cushion. I don't think you should have to have a luxury vehicle or a more expensive model of the same car to have comfort.