1994 Honda Civic DX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1994 Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sort Reviews by

great budget car
By rodmanzer

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2009 with 149,900 miles. The paint was original but the clear was coming off and the color was fading. It came with all new belts,hoses,radiator, ignition wires that I can see. It is an automatic with A/C and power steering. Disappointed no anti lock brakes they were an option.It runs perfect and a year later still does, it burns the normal amount of oil all engines do no matter the miles. It is a gutless wonder, rids like crud and you have to punch it just to get going but it gets great gas mileage and is very reliable. I worked for Honda in the service department so I knew what to get as a economy car used and I like to buy American GM's they are great too.

Favorite Features

great budget car that should last just maintain it and don't overheat it or goodbye motor. Mileage is good but not over 32 like others claim.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension, it rides and handles as cheap as it costs. No clock. The automatic Transmission shifter goes into d3 not d4 when you put into gear you have to remember to put up one. NO POWER.

Why don't they still make 'em?
By Brent

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

Why don't they still make cars like this. I have 114k on this car and I am getting 40-42 mpg with a five speed manual trans. I drive conservatively so I get the gas mileage. I thought about buying a new civic but why??? Less mpg and a big dollar price. I hope to drive this for many years to come.

Favorite Features

MPG, easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

Seats are hard and don't offer a lot of support.

I love my car
By EHO

1994 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new because my new wife & stepdaughter didn't fit in my CRX. From the day this car entered the garage my teenage stepdaughter coveted this car so you know it was cool looking from the word go. On the road it handles like a dream, it has reasonable go (5 sp manual), and slices up Santa Cruz's highway 17 like it's on rails (w/ 185/60014 Yokohama summer tires). It gets great gas mileage, on the highway 400+ miles from a tank happens all the time. Recently, I had a major failure, most likely a throwout bearing and the main shaft on the trans is making noise (155K). This is how much I love this car: $2100 estimate and I'm fixing it. Live on! (The Fit Sport will have to wait).

Favorite Features

VTEC engine, suspension, all around great handling, wonderful gas mileage, body styling that still looks great 15 years later.

Suggested Improvements

everyone else has said it all: lights on alert and better cup holders. the cup holders block the power adapter for your mp3 player.

14 Years Old and Still Awesome
By GasSipperEX

1994 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used a little over a year ago and yes I found a diamond. 13 years old at the time of purchase with 70,000 miles on it. Car has been great and very fun every day. I changed the brakes, radiator, timing belt, spark plugs etc.. when I bought the car. This car runs like new and I hope to have it another 14 years. My cars before this were an SC400, Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, Toyota Supra TT. Even though I had those cars and sold them. I love this civic so much more. It gets great gas mileage, no one wants to race, and I can just cruise with my sunroof open and get 35+ MPG where ever I go. I lucked out and grew out of the cool car faze just in time. I would not go back.

Favorite Features

35+MPG, comfortable ride, easy to maintain, Sunroof, power everything, great all around car to do everything around town and great on long trips too.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back!!! the whole 92-95 Civic and Del Sol line. These cars are still great today and people are always looking for one of these cars. Wish I could find another.

My First Car
By KoreanMofo

1994 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I finally managed to get my first car. A 1994 Honda Civic EX coupe. This car was originally my uncle's vehicle. I must say, it is a blast to have! I have a 5 speed manual transmission, and even though the engine is relatively small, I still enjoy dropping the clutch and lighting up the tires. As of right now, I have had no major problems with the vehicle other than a headlight went out, and my windshield fluid spray nozzles only shoot streams instead of spray.

Favorite Features

The 5 speed manual transmission. My dad owns a 2001 Honda Civic LX Sedan, and I must say that my car beats his hands down, even though mine is 7 years older. Also, the fact that they placed a Vtec engine in my car, means MINE will be driving long after my dad's is a pile of scrap metal. xD

Suggested Improvements

A LIGHT DINGER!!!! I have killed my battery 5 times now because of not having that feature. Secondly, CUP HOLDERS! What is this flimsy material? I can't even put a paper cup in there without worrying that the contents will spill when I slowly accelerate.

1994 Honda Civic 2 Dr EX Coupe
By Another reviewer

1994 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Bought used and it's been reliable except just found out the quarterpanels rust out, will need to POR-15 them come summer. Other than that nothing has failed, just standard maintenance for a car with 112k miles on it.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on simple layout.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders that work

Time Marathon
By cm221975

1994 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

This car now has 250k and it has gone without any problems. Seriously, no problems! It has been a beast amongs beast! I love it, this is the best car in the plan on never selling it. I am writing this review because now that I have had the car for 14 years and 250k miles, I wanted people to know about its reliability. Yes I change the brakes, and oil, and your usual old car thing...everyone I know is amazed at hoe long this car has lasted...specially since I am not the nicest person to it.

Favorite Features

Durability!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Excellent first car
By seaniboi77

1994 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Excellent first car, tons of fun to drive. VTEC engine is full of pep and after adding a short ram intake sounds amazing. Fuel mileage is great and hardly any problems. I bought it with some mechanical work needed due to overheating but all I need now is to replace the tranny fluid. Great car, I'd never buy anything but a Honda(except a 'stang).

Favorite Features

VTEC engine, great handling, ergonomic yet simple design, fuel mileage, (fairly) comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, headrest. Nitpicking but it was fixed long ago anyway.

Excellent first car
By seaniboi77

1994 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Excellent car, lots of fun to drive. I bought with some problems but it's all fixed now.

Favorite Features

Vtec engine, superb handling, ergonomic design

Suggested Improvements

Bad cupholders

I'm dissappointed!
By JV

1994 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

Got this vehicle a few months ago (02/2007) at 143,000 miles and was pretty excited at first and started to appreciate everything about the vehicle - believing the "big hype about Civic's" more and more until last month (07/2007). The radiator blew up then other problems followed, even after a new radiator! It had an overheating problem before according to the previous owner, so maybe the previous owner was naive and careless and weakened the overall life of the car. Maybe it's because this model was manufactured in Canada as Honda of Canada Inc. Since this is my first Honda ever, it made a poor impression and I may never look at Honda's ever again, unless it's Japan made!

Favorite Features

Light weight and easy to drive. I also like the sporty body look!

Suggested Improvements

The new Civic's now are all well built with excellent features as well.